Re: What are you currently listening to?

Listened to The Revolution will not be Televised as well this morning actually. Wonderful stuff.
I wasn’t aware of his ould fella playing for Celtic. Good story

Gil Scott-Heron: The Revolution will not be Televised

You will not be able to stay home, brother.
You will not be able to plug in, turn on and cop out.
You will not be able to lose yourself on skag and skip,
Skip out for beer during commercials,
Because the revolution will not be televised.

The revolution will not be televised.
The revolution will not be brought to you by Xerox
In 4 parts without commercial interruptions.
The revolution will not show you pictures of Nixon
blowing a bugle and leading a charge by John
Mitchell, General Abrams and Spiro Agnew to eat
hog maws confiscated from a Harlem sanctuary.

The revolution will not be brought to you by the
Schaefer Award Theatre and will not star Natalie
Woods and Steve McQueen or Bullwinkle and Julia.
The revolution will not give your mouth sex appeal.
The revolution will not get rid of the nubs.
The revolution will not make you look five pounds
thinner, because the revolution will not be televised, Brother.

There will be no pictures of you and Willie May
pushing that shopping cart down the block on the dead run,
or trying to slide that color television into a stolen ambulance.
NBC will not be able predict the winner at 8:32
or report from 29 districts.

There will be no pictures of pigs shooting down
brothers in the instant replay.
There will be no pictures of pigs shooting down
brothers in the instant replay.
There will be no pictures of Whitney Young being
run out of Harlem on a rail with a brand new process.
There will be no slow motion or still life of Roy
Wilkens strolling through Watts in a Red, Black and
Green liberation jumpsuit that he had been saving
For just the proper occasion.

Green Acres, The Beverly Hillbillies, and Hooterville
Junction will no longer be so damned relevant, and
women will not care if Dick finally gets down with
Jane on Search for Tomorrow because Black people
will be in the street looking for a brighter day.

There will be no highlights on the eleven o’clock
news and no pictures of hairy armed women
liberationists and Jackie Onassis blowing her nose.
The theme song will not be written by Jim Webb,
Francis Scott Key, nor sung by Glen Campbell, Tom
Jones, Johnny Cash, Englebert Humperdink, or the Rare Earth.

The revolution will not be right back after a message
bbout a white tornado, white lightning, or white people.
You will not have to worry about a dove in your
bedroom, a tiger in your tank, or the giant in your toilet bowl.
The revolution will not go better with Coke.
The revolution will not fight the germs that may cause bad breath.
The revolution will put you in the driver’s seat.

The revolution will not be televised, will not be televised,
will not be televised, will not be televised.
The revolution will be no re-run brothers;
The revolution will be live.

1 Like

I am currently listening to the sound of my stomach getting ready to explode

Relaxed last night with a large whiskey, listening to King Curtis, Live at the Fillmore West.

I was listening to ‘Rebel without a Pause’ from Public Enemy as well this morning actually from ‘It takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back’. Without a doubt one of the best and most important albums ever released.

1 Like

Wrong again farmer.

Do you not find it ironic that you are listening to that crap on your Apple iPod? The very epitome of what that creep is railing against.

Up consumerism, up capitalism.

Personally listening Dire Straits - On the Night Live. Romeo and Juliet is magic.

I like the sentiment of the song but I never said that I am going to live my life by it

If you could open your eyes (and more importantly your ears) Brian, you would realise that there is a lot more quality music out there than the Drumlish showband scene (pioneers include Declan Nerny and Mick Flavin, both reformed heroine and crack addicts)

Got home last night after a few pints and the two lads I live with weren’t home so I stuck Ryan Adams’ Heartbreaker album on quite loud for that hour of the night. Beautiful stuff.

Have never listened to Ryan Adams although superleeds put all the chap’s albums on my mp3 and demanded that I listen to them.

This week I’ve been on a ‘j’ vibe on my travels. Listening to JJ72 (can anyone tell me what the fook happened to them?), Josh Ritter (one of my favourite albums of the year) and Joe Chester (quality guitar pop, cracking tunesmith). Last week was all Celtic and Irish songs as next week will be when the CL resumes.

Speaking of albums, I’m on my regular any good albums lately quests? Also, what was your most listened to album this year, not necessarily one that was released this year either?

Mine would be:

We Are Scientists - With Love and Squalor (checking these lads out live next week)
Interpol - Antics (supreme)
Josh Ritter - The Animal Years (excellent)
Hard Fi - Stars of CCTV (banging tunes)
Sufjan Stevens - Chicago (immense)
Damien Dempsey - Live At The Olympia (emotional)
Whipping Boy - Heartworm (before its time)
Waiting Room - Catering For Headphones (prospects)
Elliot Smith - From A Basement On A Hill and XO (could make you cry)

I’ve just picked up Ball Ox’s iPod to see what he/she was listening to, the track playing was: Mariah Carey - Always be my Baby. I have witnesses too.

From a few posts here it seems as if you guys know each other in person???

Listening to Eire Og live - Let The People Sing

‘Let the people sing their stories and their songs,
The music of their native land,
Lullabies and battle cries,
Songs of hope and joy,
Join us hand in hand,
All across this ancient land,
Throughout the test of time,
It was music that kept our spirits free,
Those songs of yours and mine.’

‘This land is your land,
This land is my land,
From the northern highlands,
To the western islands,
From the hills of Kerry,
To the streets of Free Derry
Oh this land was made for you and me.’

Also, Aidan McAnespie, Joe McDonnell and Boys of the Old Brigade.

Stuck on Can’s album ‘Tago Mago’ yesterday morning for the long walk from where my means of transport drops me and my place of work. Was so impressed that I listened to the rest of the album on the way home. Superb stuff.

Gave Hal a listen to recently as well - impressive, particularly ‘Play the Hits’

Other songs listened to this morning:
Take Five - Dave Brubeck quartet (best jazz number ever)
Sometimes - My Bloody Valentine
Anyone can make a mistake - The Wedding Present

The best of Simon and Garfunkel

Listening to Hail Hail the Celts are here, Aiden McAnespie, The Ballad of Martin O’Neill and Willie Maley at the moment having a debate with a few fellow freekickers. Mon the Hoops.

Im listening to East End of Town, Celtic Symphony, 25th of May, Neil Lennon and more.

Neil, Neil Lennon,
Neil, Neil Lennon,
Neil, Neil Lennon,
Born to play for Celtic.

In the east end of town
A big stadium stands
Its called Paradise
By all the Celtic fans

100 years have past
And still going strong
The great Glasgow Celtic
Forever will live on

And little boys in
The Glasgow streets dream
Of the day when theyre
In the Celtic team

Their fans on the slopes
Are a sight to behold
Bold Fenian men
In the green, white and gold.

Rocko tells me Lisbon is packed with bhoys and ghirls. Its like a pilgrimage to retrace the Lisbon Lions steps.

Gagging for this now.

Talk is of Maloney and Aiden on the flanks with Naka coming infield to play make with King Kenny up top on his own.

Threw on The Beatles’ Revolver last night, never realised what a brilliant album it is: obviously Eleanor Rigby, Yellow Submarine, Tomorrow Never Knows, but also For No One, I’m Only Sleeping, Got to get her into my life.

And while one can debate whether Sergeant Pepper is the best album of all time, it’s incredible to think they’ve that and Abbey Road and the White Album as well as Revolver, & a lot more besides.

I know it’s like saying “Newsflash: the Beatles are good”, but I’d always considered them somewhat overrated.

A message board isn’t much fun if we can’t debate your assertions law.

I would be very much still in the latter category - ie I think that the Beatles are overrated. Sure they have had some great songs - ‘Day in the Life’,‘Yesterday’ and ‘In my Life’ spring to mind but I think the majority of their stuff is distinctly average. Consequently I don’t own a Beatles album so maybe I am not in the best position to judge.

On a separate point I bought Uncut last week. It had its albums of the year in it. Dylan won it - may well check out that album but from listening to their CD there are a few others that I would like to purchase:

Clap your Hands and Say Yeah eponymous - recommended before by I think tommymoore
Joanna Newsom Ys

Just listening to a song called “Sara Migliore” by a big Italian star of the 80s, Vasco Rossi, and was wondering if anyone has come across any good foreign-language stuff? My favourite artist is Brussels’ Jacques Brel - I presume you’ve come across him Farmer, he’d be a huge influence on Scott Walker, and directly or indirectly on Neil Hannon - I enjoyed the first couple of Manu Chao albums, and Air make decent background music, but has anyone come across anything more recent of interest?

If you want a debate Rock, apropos of Farmer’s last post, what’s the best Dylan album in your opinion?

Sorry I misread your first post and an attempt at humour makes no sense now.

While being a big music fan I’m not particularly interested in particular albums that came out when I was too young to listen to music. That doesn’t mean I don’t listen to older music - I like and listen to Bob Dylan - but I don’t think that any album from a particular period in his development is better than another. I tend to just listen to an artist on my mp3 player than to an album.

However on grounds of taste I will say that it’s certainly not that Starbucks effort he released.

Stuck on Roy Orbison on the old ipod this morning - what a voice. Listened to ‘She’s a Mystery to Me’ twice over. Smashing stuff - written by Bono and the Edge - best thing that they have ever done imo