Reeling in the years

Ha! Sean Spicer in the badly fitting suit lying about the inauguration crowd.

It sums up Mayo.

They are just a tragic box office.

1 Like

I suppose if he hadn’t had a meltdown there someone else would have done something mental a few minutes later.

The best GAA game of all time by a mile though.

4 Likes

It was utterly brilliant, I remember thinking at half time that there is another 35 minutes plus of this to come. And then the ending with Mayo failing again. Everyone in the country devastated. Mayo folk in tears.

The 2005 semi between Tyrone and Armagh comes to mind as well. Something like 1-12 to 1-11 it finished but the intensity was off the charts.

2 Likes

A great football match, 2 teams that tried to play too. Iirc mayo went into the first round quailifers and had 2 replays derry and roscommon in the AI QF? I think they played cork that went to ET too.

Back then they followed a similar pattern. Lose poorly in Connacht, scrape through apparently easy Qualifiers then get to Croke Park and start to really play. Never win though of course.

They beat kerry in thr SF, cant remember if that went to a replay, ended up with a mad run of games pre super 8s era

I think it did go to a replay. That was when they brought Aidan O’Shea back to mark Donaghy. Probably should have left him there.

1 Like

Mayo went to extra time twice and a replay twice on the way to that final

1 Like

My thoughts from a few years back.

It had everything.

2 Likes

As cynical as anything ever seen in Croke Park?

Certainly as cynical as Pawdee Maher throwing himself to ground against Laois anyway

Yes.

Mad to think they could replace Kilkenny with Scully or someone when he was black carded.

That rule wasn’t long changing after.

I don’t think keep ball was really a thing until then either.

Don’t take it in isolation pal, an important ingredient of the many ingredients to the greatest football final of this century at the very least . Two fierce rivals at the peak of their powers . Most enthralling game I ever attended in croker

1 Like

1981 some year for attempted assassinations

2 Likes

That must be the last episode for this summer, sounds like RTE will be back to the usual one hour Six One News bulletins next week.

1 Like

Big year for us second generation Ballyporeeners

Sean Foley on PJ Molloy

1 Like

They didn’t go as deep this year at all due to the Olympics. They’d usually make it well into the 00’s but only 1981 this summer. I find the 60’s are overdone on RTÉ because they’re always the starting point. It only starts to become interesting from the late 70’s onwards.

3 Likes

Cos you’re a gasún

1 Like