Referendum 2024

@artfoley will be chuffed with your description of him .

1 Like

1 Like

I wish it was 1955 again

“In the absence of clear guidance within the constitutional text or by way of legislation, it is difficult to predict with certainty how the Irish courts would interpret the concept of ‘other durable relationships,’" wrote Fanning to O’Gorman on 8 December, 2023.

“The courts may well address the question of what constitutes a ‘durable relationship’ on a case-by-case basis, having regard to the facts and circumstances of the particular case and the evidence before it,” added Fanning

Everyone I’ve spoken to seems to be No on the Care Referendum. 5/6 seems like free money

1 Like

I see he has the moron virtue signalling table up. When’s the truth table arriving

Superb news. Deciding on facts and circumstances of a case. Perfectly logical and makes a right mockery of the scaremongering.

1 Like

Surely they could have been left alone to do that without the government spending €23 million on a day out for themselves

2 Likes

He has the same referendum in two columns. The referendum on mother and on care is the same one.

1 Like

I bought a delorean last week. Do you want to give it a spin?

1 Like

Worked well when teenagers were denied a right to travel for abortions by courts

Courts are not and should not be legislatures.

Well that certainly a left of field hot take

Sorry lad, I don’t know the answer to that. And therein lies the problem.
This was a home run, never in doubt referendum, if the amendments were worded clearly.

For what it’s worth, I think The Family Amendment will pass comfortably and The Care Amendment will be defeated.

1 Like

I’d be happy enough with that, I can’t get my head around the carers one when we currently do the square root of fuck all to promote anybody at all being permitted to stay in the home, at the same time the language is most definitely outdated.
I personally think they’re not n an impossible position re the ‘durable relationship’ terminology as the alternative is an arbitrary time frame or similar

1 Like

The advice clearly supports everything the government have been saying. It’s an odd move by whoever leaked it in going to the Ditch (maybe others rejected it) but the messaging is very much in line with what has been repeated by the government in recent weeks.

The care amendment is probably more interesting in that there has been more skepticism about its impact but the view from the AG is clear that it does confer a signinficant extension of obligations to the state to provide care. That’s in line with previous statements but it’s no harm to have it publicly confirmed.

The family amendment does not add additional rights, but does protect extended definitions of families and is not likely to have any impact on immigration.

I haven’t been following and have no idea what its all about but assune TFK will be voting No, No early and often tomorrow?

7 Likes

Why wasn’t it released? Sends the absolute wrong message

The legal advice was released for previous referenda, looks very sus that they withheld it this time around.

Because governments in Ireland don’t generally release attorney general advice I believe and that’s the policy of this government and previous governments.

The timing is probably annoying to the Yes side because a late leak like this looks like a “gotcha” but there’s nothing in there that contradicts anything that has been said by the government until now.

They’d have been better having this advice out there from the start. They’d also have been better off with different people in the debates etc but with a coalition and established political parties you won’t always get the right decision or messaging.