Regular Savings - Suggestions

A relation of mine was the farm manager at Mallow. Years ago now.

Lost on a split decision to a Mullan lad he was Irish champion at the time 94

2 Likes

:drooling_face::moneybag::moneybag:

I’ll give TFK the rights to the live auction for this one. @flattythehurdler will you kick off the bidding please when the time comes.

Alright lads, now that our family is sorted regarding accommodation and employment (my wife basically has a guaranteed job for life, me less so) and a steady enough income, what should we be doing in terms of investing for the future, savings, retirement etc.

We are currently paying an education plan for our daughter, and otherwise everything we save goes to our savings account. Keep in mind Singapore had a kind of state pension fund called CPF where both you and your employer have to pay a certain percentage of your wages, to be paid out at the age of 65.

1 Like

Do you have an IRA type thing in Singapore where you can invest tax free? Whether you have or not, open a brokerage account and put whatever you can afford into iit every month. Buy an index ETF like VTI or an equivalent low expense mutual fund each month. You get the benefits of dollar cost averaging without having to think about it.

1 Like

Bingo. Not every mail order husband strikes it as lucky :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

She’d want it considering your household has a food bill to rival a zoo.

8 Likes

Cheers mate. I’ve no idea what half of that means though.

What about buying government bonds?

Dont know much about Singapore bonds specifically but sovereign bonds in general are a low risk low return safe haven for capital. They have a place in a portfolio but when you’re younger you would want a better return Id say

Just had a look at that link. Rate offered for Singapore bonds is not as bad as i thought. You wouldnt get 1% on deposit in Ireland. Youd be looking for 5% plus a year over a long term investment like a pension

1 Like

@Turenne, the best advice I can give you is to ignore any investment advice offered by @anon7035031

3 Likes

Do they have a children’s allowance in Singapore? If they do never spend it, put it into a savings account and you’ll have enough to pay for college when they are 18.

2 Likes

Only for the low income families. They do give a fair amount of one off deposits though. She currently has more in savings than we do though.

Cc @Bandage with this advice

Debatable but you’ll have a significant portion of it alright, a great plan to have in place.

It’s not too late for Bitcoin

Would our resident whiskey expert have any suggestions which would return more than 5%?
@Malarkey

You’d be silly leaving your money with a bank these days.

You can’t take it with you.

Equities are the only way to get any kind of decent returns over time. You have to factor in inflation, taxes on gains and expenses of whatever you buy, realistically equities might give you 5% on average over inflation, bonds would be close to zero.

You are looking at a 20 year timeframe I’m guessing, do the math on investing x amount at 5% over 20 years versus 2%. The power of compound interest is tremendous.

Having said that, equities are very rich and will correct at some point in the next year or so. That won’t worry you though as you are just starting out and will be buying at high prices initially but then lower (dollar cost averaging).

1 Like

If @Turenne invests in Shrimp futures and continues to eat like fuck he’ll make a fortune.