Regular Savings - Suggestions

The grandfather was an agent for the factory in Tuam, I’d say they probably kept at for longer than was wise at home

1 Like

I always suspected the was a drop of good Galway stock in you.

1 Like

Tuam closed in 87 according to Google but there were other plants opened into the 90s

Mallow only closed in the last ten years. It was still economically viable to keep it open but the government got the bones of 400 million for selling the plants. Stupid cunts.

2 Likes

Yeah, Mary Coughlan was minister for agriculture when it closed AFAIR

1 Like

Last house in Ballinderreen parish before Kinvara on the mother’s side, last house before New York in Mulrook on the ould lad’s.

1 Like

Jasus, you’re one of our own. Welcome to Nogra.

2 Likes

What would a 50 acre farm set you back in nogra or similar … with a dwelling. Don’t worry, I’m stuck where I am

A recent Irish Times survey put the Kinvara area at the highest property value in Connacht. Farmland can be very mixed, some great land but some Rocky shite too as we’re on the edge of the Burren. 50 acres with a hour would be around 500k for a starting point. A few miles from me 9 acres of marginal land went for nearly 300k as a result of a bidding war. Mental stuff.

Same here. 50 acres could easily make a million…wouldn’t be farmers buying

Tyrone?

God forgive you. Derry

1 Like

I’ve a good friend in Garvagh.

Good land round there, up here land tends to be either protestant or Catholic. Garvagh would definitely be protestant. you never see land at the chapel/church though.
The ulster bank used to give low or no interest loans for the prods buying land that was in danger of changing faith, or could be converted. Allegedly

1 Like

Not surprised. I went up to visit him once and we only drank in the GAA club :smile:

1 Like

You could have gone to the imperial hotel!

1 Like

I boxed there one time.

1 Like

I seem to remember a bit of shenanigans with the civil servants running the Irish sugar board all becoming millionaires overnight, back when that actually meant something.
We’d often cut open a sugar beet from the pile at the roadside as kids, and share it out.
Is/was there anything we can’t corrupt as a nation?

1 Like

That must have flown up recently?
You’d get land on the outskirts of the city considerably cheaper, at least you would two or three years ago. 500k for a poor 50 acres makes no sense, none at all.

How did you do?