Regular Savings - Suggestions

If you want an app, You Need a Budget is your best bet I think. Give it a whirl.

1 Like

Get yourself a woman and a second hand car and you’ll never have to worry about having spare cash.

7 Likes

Take a hundred euro and post it to yourself in care of your local boozer on a Friday. It’ll arrive courtesy of the postal service on Monday and then you’re set…

2 Likes

game set and match
@Smark, close down the forum

Are they typically the equity funds, pal?

CDOs or some other bespoke tranche opportunity would be the way to go. Absolutely certain to make a killing over the long term.

Can vary. Just had a look at mine there. Split into three seperate investments.
One fund is entirely global equities made up of loads of small holdings (e.g. largest individual holding is apple 2%). High risk

Other two funds are medium to high risk and are approx 70% equities, 15% bonds with rest made up of cash and other investments.

The problem at the moment is that bond funds are as high risk as equities

1 Like

Buy low, sell high

yesh, without the upside

Hold those pumpkin futures till November

Ya pretty much zero upside

an ex colleague of mine told me he got supernova returns from a bonds fund a few years back, high twenties in a year, how would that have happened? Fund sold off v high yielding bonds early?
He ended up with a nice little bonus at the tail end of his working life anyways, was worth close to 150 k to him

Even a very low risk bond fund that was holding say 10 year German Govies @ 4% per annum as would have been standard enough a few years ago, would have gotten uber returns as the yields collapsed into negative territory. You could have made 20% a year handy without taking much risk. The problem now is that same fund is rolling off its bonds it bought at good prices into bonds it’s buying a terrible prices and there’s not a whole lot they can do about it either.
The only way to get any sort of returns in a bond fund at the minute is to increase the duration of the bonds held in the fund or increase the level of risk of the bonds you are buying (move from say a German Govie to a Portuguese and even that won’t do a whole pile for you). Both are ticking time bombs and most bond funds are heavily restricted in what they can invest in so they can’t really protect themselves.

1 Like

You’d need a steady nerve to buy Portuguese bonds.

There’s fuck all reason to do it either. You’d pick up maybe an extra 3% per annum vs German Gov’s but the risk is completely different.

1 Like

You’d want your head examined actually.

3 Likes

With the company pension, the options are fairly limited. Not seeing CDO there, but probably need to to ask specifically.

CDO’s are incredibly high risk and illegal for a pension as far as I’m aware. I think @Appendage was only winding you up mate, the messer.

Edit. Sorry that’s not true, some CDO’s such as Mortgage backed bonds would be allowed alright. They are back in vogue now again after a few years in the wilderness. You’d need a self directed pension for anything like that though.

2 Likes

Did you ever see The Big Short?