Relatively unknown players to look out for

Do such a thread exist here already?

If not, I would like this thread for said purpose.

Just watching the Championship play off game between Nottingham Forrest and Swansea. Joe Allen of Swansea has caught my eye, classy little central midfield player in the Xavi mould. After further research I see he is only 21. Also been impressed by Chelsea loanee Fabio Borini.

Great idea Mr Totti. I think Kieran Lillis could be a breakout player for Laois this season.

Craig Gardner’s younger brother Gary has been hyped to James McCarthy like levels at Villa Park. Has had a bad injury but would have thought he would be seeing gametime this season.

Next season he is expected to make a breakthrough. Delph, Bannan, himself waiting on the wings with Reo Coker and Petrov on the way out. Not sure if the three of them will make it though.

Conor Lehane.

We had a similar enough type thread called “Hidden Gems” Totti but no harm in starting a fresh one as the world has moved on since.

It might be useful though if we posted up players we have noticed from watching football ourselves, as with your Joe Allen mention above. Not just saying “X is highly thought of as a young player at [insert mediocre English club here] and is expected to make a breakthrough.” We can all read the fanzines and newspapers ourselves in other words. e.g. Islam Feruz - only saw his Victory Shield performance so can’t really judge him. Hype is huge though and he does look quality in a few grainy youtube clips

I guess what passes for “relatively unknown” in Ireland might not necessarily mean that these guys would be unheard of elsewhere either. I’ve been impressed with Templeton at Hearts. Lots of young wingers in the SPL tend to generate excitement with a bit of pace and directness about him but I think he’s a properly talented player. Always the danger in singling out an SPL player that he’ll go and join the huns but I think he’s better than say Naismith was.

Paudie Mahony and Darragh Fives are fresh out of minor and both could make an impact in this years championship. Fives in particular is a class act.

Ya ha ha ha ha. What the fuck is a Paudie. Man you’re talking trash.

Very impressive start from Borini again here in the second leg. I wonder what are Chelsea’s expectations of him?

I’ve been watching Sao Paolo against Gremio this evening. Few familiar faxes playing such as Ilsinho and Rochemback but the player who stood out is a winger for Sao Paolo called Marlos. All left sided but his dribbling has been superb - lovely player to watch. Wiki tells me he’s 33.

Both start today in what should be a nice easy game to kick-off their championsip careers.

even if they become the best boghockey or turnipball players of all time they will remain relatively unknown compard to a person that plays a nornal sport

1 Like

:clap:

Has Conor Clifford been mentioned yet?

Victor Ibarbo, 21 year old Columbian midfielder who plays for Cagliari.

Lorenzo Insigne, 20 years old attacker who plays for Pescara (on loan from Napoli).

Scored two goals on his u-21 debut for Italy.

Was on loan at Foggia last season in Serie C1 (Italian third tier, equivalent of League One), where he scored 19 times under the tutelage of the great Zdenek Zeman. He has joined up with Zeman again this season in Serie B with Pescara and has started off similarly brightly, 2 in 6.

Haven’t seen much action of him yet bar a few snippets on youtube but the Italian press are gushing about him at the minute. He only stands 5ft4 so he’s very similar to Giovinco in both stature and style of play.

Two goals from Joe Allen in two weeks. :clap:

Joe Allen is a wonderful player. Wales should have an excellent midfield for years to come with Allen, Ledley, Bale, Ramsey all relatively young and talented.

I’m hearing good things about Eduardo Vargas. Anyone familiar with him?

He’s just about to play on Setanta Ireland in the Copa Sudamericana semi-final.

The two Milan clubs, Liverpool and Arsenal supposedly sniffing around.