Reopen the counties - the COVID-19 Edgy thread

Play the ball please. You aren’t putting anything constructive forward there.

We all want to save lives (you don’t have a monopoly on that) but we cannot be locked up indefinitely, the cost of that would be far higher. Would you be satisfied with a lockdown for 12-18 months just so nobody pricks their toe?

All governments are considering phased reopenings. But it’s very early days yet and it will take some weeks before they have enough numbers to make an assessment on if they can begin relaxing. I highly doubt that will be as soon as April 19. End April/early May at best.

That’s an uninformed comment.

Ah stop. We couldn’t keep nursing homes safe from the fucking thing and you’ve lads shouting for shops & pubs to reopen and lockdown to stop.

Nobody fully understands this virus but again lads know better.

And you know better demanding that we stay locked up for months? What are you basing that on?

the suicide rates in Italy are going through the roof, two weeks ago it was all lads playing the decks and pianos on balcony’s, great craic for a day or two. now they have all retreated inside, killing themselves with depression. Lockdowns can’t go on, not in cities anyway

Where did I demand lockdown for months bro? Was it last night after 10pm??

The Danes are making that assessment right now and are talking about what they might reopen. They are putting forward Easter, I think that might be a bit too soon personally, but there we are. They have a remarkably similar profile as us so far on this, which is why I mentioned it.

The thing about the surge and the ICUs is that when things do kick up in a week or so, can our new capacity cope? And if by then the case number growth is falling to a level where you are confident that you have some ICU headspace for a few weeks, then why not start lifting some restrictions?

We actually have some evidence from the likes of Sweden on how more lax approaches to a lockdown are working when you have confidence in your health capacity.

is there less people dead than this 4 week period last year in Ireland?

Yes it absolutely will on a global scale.

1 Like

He doesn’t know how to play the ball.

Yes

Guys. Lockdown needs to continue. Stop thinking about yourselves and start thinking about the vulnerable and elderly that we need to protect. Those who can afford to make sacrifices, must.

This is not about snowflakes who can’t forgo some of their entitlement of liberties, this is about making personal sacrifices to protect the vulnerable and needy.

Cop on.

6 Likes

To be fair I don’t think many people are reading the unhinged lunacy spouted by certain posters on this thread, and thank heavens for that.

1 Like

Spot on.

1 Like

No it’s not.

We’re trying to slow it down so health workers can manage things - it’s not about protecting anyone. The deaths are gonna keep coming- it’s just about how fast they come.

Health workers managing things = saving lives

Isn’t this what we signed up to all along, now less than one week in we’re losing out nerve??

1 Like

We’re trying to slow down its spread.

A lockdown is assisting that greatly, it might impact on inconveniences for us but now is not the time to be selfish jerks. Whatever we must do to protect the vulnerable and elderly in society we do and in the schemes of life and death, these are small sacrifices.

We are all inconvenienced by this but now is not the time to be thinking about yourself, it’s the time to be thinking about how your actions impact the vulnerable and elderly around you. Stay indoors, quit greeting and do your bit.

We’re preparing for thousands of deaths all over the country right now — the government know this. It’s just the reality of it. We’re not doing anything other the stopping hospitals being over run. That’s noble in itself but it’s not about protecting lives — a certain percentage are going to die regardless of what health workers do.

It’s herd immunity or a vaccine – has been since day 1. Nothing has changed in the slightest. We’re just waiting for it to be one or the other.

would it not be easier to board over 70’s into the house and supply them with food. I fear the country will never recover from this if the economy doesn’t get going soon