Reopen the counties - the COVID-19 Edgy thread

Who’s this Bonner fella?

He’s one of the top young coaches in the country

https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCfmKwRDfckmOQaomZs4sFWA

1 Like

I was thinking that he’s probably a decent cricket batsman.

The correlation between proficiency at spud hockey and cricket is overstated as I’ve learned to my cost.

1 Like

Good on him, seems very enthusiastic

I’ve came across him a few times. Could be one for the local legends thread. A bit of a nut job but not a bad bone in his body. Batshit crazy about hurling. It helped him assimilate in school. He was supported by a lot of great teachers. I’d imagine playing hurling covers over other problems in his life. He had a running feud with Buff a few years ago which was very funny.

The Bonner O Loinsigh is based on his two favourite players. Bonner Maher and Colin Lynch. He is mad about Clare.

1 Like

I’ve heard about this guy, I think I know one of his former teachers. If it’s the guy I’m thinking of he’s completely insane, he started putting on a Clare accent when he was still living in Dublin. Supposedly sound as a pound, a lovely fella.

1 Like

Seems a good lad but it’s a pity for the gaa this is even anyway notable. He’s grown up in Ireland and gone to school here it shouldn’t be any big deal that he plays one of the sports that’s played here.
There are a notable lack of ‘foreigners’ playing gaa. Can only think of one or two at inter County level who aren’t white or wouldn’t even have at least one Irish parent. I don’t think the gaa is racist but it could be a bit more inclusive maybe. Look at the make up of the Irish underage soccer teams now it makes no sense that no lads from an African background have broken into the Dublin seniors (or even minors?)
I’d say their fathers would see no value in them playing gaa over soccer which is an issue too.

1 Like

The blacks would make unbelievable footballers. Imagine LeBron playing at full forward.

Your last paragraph is spot on. Parents see no money in gaa to keep at it whereas they believe there is a chance their son could get to England for a contract or to a lesser extent LOI here.

Most lads gravitate to sports their Dad plays/played. That’s a big factor aswell.

Yere both correct but the aim of the gaa should be to try and spread the game to all children in Ireland surely. Its something I don’t ever see discussed really.

Are there any of them coming through as good club players in Dublin even? I suppose by ‘them’ I mean fellas with both parents not from Ireland. Poles, Nigerians etc.

Craig Dyas from Kilmacud played a bit with Dublin under Jim Gavin I think.

One of his parents is foreign.

Racism is a huge issue in the GAA. Look at Aaron Cunningham in Crossmaglen.

When Chiedoze Ogbene was playing with Nemo he used get awful abuse.

Racism is an issue in most sports, very disingenuous to claim the GAA has a huge issue.

1 Like

It is an issue for every sport and across society in general.

I don’t watch Rugby Football and would only attend a handful of LOI/Junior Soccer games each year so can’t comment on it too much there but in GAA, it can be really bad.

Some really good players have drifted away and I’d say the racial abuse they’ve taken has contributed to it.

Think there needs to be harder punishments handed out. The Kilcoo boys got off on appeal I’m pretty sure after the Aaron Cunningham incident.

There seems to be a breakthrough with a few non indigenous Irish breaking onto county teams. There is a lad in Westmeath footballers, Moradi the Leitrim hurler. The teamsheet when Tipp under 20 footballers played this year had a few eastern European surnames. Kerry have had a few also. An eastern European GK on their minor + 20 teams. They had a full back on those teams who is now playing Aussie rules.

Off course Lee Chin is the most high profile at the moment.

Waffle again from you so.

Chins mother is Irish. His uncles probably played. That’s why I specifically said fellas whose two parents aren’t Irish. I’m talking more about gaa spreading its reach beyond its traditional base. To children who’s families have no interest or background in it. This is the main issue not racism. It’s not the end of the world but it is something the gaa is falling down on and I’m surprised its not discussed more in gaa circles .