Reopen the counties - the COVID-19 Edgy thread

Our young people will have severe mental health issues from all this — young kids locked up for months and hearing news stations engage in mass hysteria about our impending doom. You cant insulate them from it, it’s every where. Parents depressed because they have been laid off — countries in debt for generations — and the number of deaths are below our average for this time of year.
there’s reports all over the place of owners getting rid of their dogs because they are seen as a hindrance and annoyance during lockdown… loads of animals will be left to starve and be put down. It’s horrific.

Could you answer your own question please? @Tim_Riggins

I said yesterday between 10-14 days and you had a meltdown and this is what you are producing today :joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::clap::clap::clap::clap:

It was 2 week lockdown to start with bright spark.

Some of us have been in lock down for 4 weeks already. The highlight of my day is picking up my dogs shit with a poo bag. I’d nearly fly over to the CUH and lick some poor bastard in the ICU just to get the bastard thing over and done with … people are talking about saving lives — we’re not saving lives and never have been - we’re just slowing it down so health workers can manage the load, that’s all… the deaths will keep rolling in as we’re not nor can we fully shut down the country from outsiders and we cant maintain a lockdown indefinitely ---- lock the old away under armed guard and let everyone else take their chances.

3 Likes

What rubbish? All I said was you can’t keep lockdown going indefinitely or there could be graver consequences for society in general. I wasn’t advocating stopping lockdown now or in the next 2 or three weeks, but I was making the point that at what stage do you call a halt to it if it isn’t working? You’ve lads stating that the worst is yet to come; how will we know when we are over the worst?

1 Like

He had a meltdown yesterday when I suggested 10-14 days we need to look at relaxing the measures. Now he’s saying three weeks. He’s completely guessing and following myboyblue on the matter.

Relaxing measures after the 2 week lockdown was over? :smile:

Who knew you’d be the first to crack?

1 Like

Crack what?

Poor Barney doesn’t understand his 2 week isolation has nothing to do with the lockdown announced last weekend.

I’ve put forward my thinking on this on the board already which is gleaned from what public health experts are saying, it’s not complete as things are always developing, particularly on what phases to open at. I’d suggest for some phases reopenings;

• strong confidence that the infrastructure is there for rapid diagnostics with significant volumes that can be tested daily alongside maintenance of contact tracing

I think the world is heading that way quickly with all the manufacturers out there who have released kits. The precise amount of that I couldn’t say as I’m not an expert but you would think once you have flattened the curve you’d have a good idea in how to control that

• strong confidence that the ICU infrastructure could cope with a surge. We haven’t got to a state where our ICUs are overburdened yet, so you could reasonably tell from point one’s testing capabilities and the first surge how long you could lift restrictions and then reimpose them if your capacity is reached.

• sufficient PPE to cover a surge with supply chains secure

• evidence that the growth rate of cases has flattened, taking into account testing levels and peer analysis

• evidence that ICU figures have flatlined (this should come later than cases) and are within a manageable bit of excess capacity so you have headroom

To me what we are doing now is about trying to understand more about this thing, stopping the health service being overburdened and also communicating to the general population and at risk groups the seriousness of this. We cannot stop the spread of this indefinitely.

What restrictions would be lifted is the other thing. I change my mind on it all the time, trying to get as many non essential businesses open as possible. Bring transport back up in line but encourage offices to go 50/50 to reduce transport burden. Keep in major restrictions for at risk groups.

This would be phased but that would be just phase one for me. I’m not talking about mass events, travel or pubs even, just some roadmap for people to see. I believe this is essential for social order to be maintained (as well as for economic reasons and stopping the unintended health consequences of a strict shutdown). The businesses we talk as essential will start to creek eventually, supply chains will be tough to be maintained at some point and people not seeing fresh chicken on their shelves will start changing perceptions. Moreover, a lot of people still in jobs and not enduring significant suffering now eventually will. We have essentially decided to stop all capital flows in the world economy as well as trying to freeze working capital, it’s unchartered territory.

6 Likes

Well that’s where we are going to be one way or the other, so you have to start thinking about the sort of indicators we want at that point and a roadmap for people. There’s no point in just sitting around until that date and then having a think.

Fully agree Tim.

That’s a bit of an odd comment. If numbers dictate more lockdown measures then so be it but if authorities feel we can slacken the rope then so be it.

It’s all ok thinking about the economy & getting back to normality when suddenly your burying your parents, aunts or uncles.

If this virus starts to take out healthy young people then will the shouts to open up shop change?

1 Like

You cant hold up the whole planet for a few people bro. Thats the harsh reality of it.

3 Likes

It’s for the greater good. Mental health will become a bigger issue than the virus it’s self. We are seeing it in the south of Italy already. There’ll be a tipping point where we have to relax the measures in the not too distance future.

Shur we all know that but it will be a move that is called by a greater number of countries combined I’d imagine.

The bookies will be all go again before the end of the year, kid. Relax and catch up on the college work.

I don’t see what’s odd about it.

You need to think ahead on what we will do. Once again the reason for this full lockdown is primarily to save ICUs and slow the spread.

I didn’t say anything about normality. I don’t believe that not having mass gatherings, open pubs, allowing offices to open normally and still restricting groups is “normal”. It’s simple a way to try and get things back to some normality and to allow us to function, whilst continuing to slow the spread and trying to stop at risk groups getting it.

1 Like