Reopen the counties - the COVID-19 Edgy thread

Hopefully but I’d be pessimistic going on what I’ve heard.

because of the measures.

I think they have a distrust of the population, going absolutely buck ape if they relax the measures too quickly or are overly optimistic. As we have a low enough ICU capacity and they are ramping up on testing and tracing then we will need to err on the side of caution until tracing and testing are adequate (time not numbers)

I don’t think they have to introduce measures, they have actually already introduced measures and can introduce more. Some of the measures they have introduced they have admitted were solely for political purposes and not on public health grounds.

Their case rate is falling all the time.

Their deaths are “high” relatively speaking, but 1,200 is not 200,000 which would be some of the worse estimates for them. Their first case was on January 31st, is it really going to get much worse for them? Where’s the evidence that they have to lockdown harder and for longer? Asian countries don’t have to, they are certainly going for some more leaders in response to travellers bringing it in, but they are relatively confident on their measures.

FYI I don’t disagree with us locking down as we had a great big uncertainty, but I would argue on the “economy is fucked” either way. There are differences. We had hoped for a V shaped recovery, that seems unlikely low and it will he a U Shaped one. That means a more sustained period of unemployment and periods of people paying more taxes and spending being constrained.’

The thing is that the measures we introduced have been a roaring success in terms of our control of the situation and allowing the health service to set itself up, but is now being used as a whip to beat them with, a catch 22 of sorts

5 Likes

What did I tell you about Easter?

I don’t disagree on the measures working on capacity. I never said otherwise, I was just saying why some people say we’re past the peak.

On Sweden, they’ve seen growth 3 days in a row again after a period of decline, which follows their pattern - they’ve gone up by > 150 in 2 days. They’ve had peaks and troughs, which would suggest it very much isn’t under control. Cases and deaths grow exponentially and are time delineated, they have no control over it.

I thought his comment back at the outset to the effect of it being a harmless touch of the flu was said with tongue firmly in cheek and while quoting an article outlining how serious it was?

In deaths or cases?

Their case percentage growth rate is falling.

Screenshot from 2020-04-15 13-48-52

Screenshot from 2020-04-15 13-51-07

They’ve just had their highest daily death total.

Nope. Keep covering for him though, I’m sure he’ll be nicer next time when doxxing the site.

5 Likes

So death toll.

Deaths follow cases.

I take that as tongue firmly in cheek. I guess it suits you to take it literally.

1 Like

Not necessarily. The USA has a remarkably high number of cases and a relatively low number of deaths to cases.

Deaths are related to the measures taken and the state of the healthcare system, not the number of cases

It’s a highly contagious virus with a limited testing scope. Cases are higher than reported everywhere.

Well you made it up that he was quoting an article, so we all know that you’re just back to tickling him on here.

Mate you were going on about 200 deaths being a kick off point a couple of weeks ago. Let’s go easy on the predictions.

Sweden are testing more and more and their cases are coming down. They are also still protecting the vulnerable where possible, it’s not like they did nothing.

There’s no evidence that they are going to need to lockdown for harder than other countries.

1 Like

There’ll be more purple and gold crokes jerseys to be seen in the southeast this July and August than wexford ones… Mark my words…

1 Like

Tickling him on here. :joy:

You’re just being weird by taking the words literally.

On you go.

We had our first death on March 13th. It took until April 8th to go above 200 deaths (210). In a week our deaths have almost doubled to 406. So we’ve gone from almost a month to almost a week in recording 200 deaths. We’ve effectively doubled in a week. That’s a kick off

Within a day or two of posting this we saw our biggest jump in deaths of 36, that’s since gone up to 41

This is what our trajectory looks like now (it looks good but not as flat as South Koreas)

Nonessential workers should be re lassed as expendable workers. It’ll make the notion of sending them back to work much more sellable.