Reopen the counties - the COVID-19 Edgy thread

They have to be built though - surely an essential service.

You will create more problems by delaying the inevetable reopening. A phased reopening from the end of the lockdown is the surest and safest way forward, people are flaunting the restrictions more and more now as it is and at some point we will have to seriously address the gever growing hape of bills that are piling up there in the corner, the sooner the better

Ireland has been in lockdown now for almost a month, businesses destroyed, at least 20% unemployed, people getting jailed and fined for driving more than a few miles from their house. The question is what has this accomplished versus say sensible social distancing guidelines and strong protections for the old and vulnerable.

Deaths in Ireland are now at 730 or 150 per million of population. Sweden never closed schools, left all businesses including bars and restaurants open, and is at 1,765 deaths or 170 per million, not that different a rate to Ireland. You would also have to think the level of infection in Sweden is now many multiples that of Ireland.

If the rate of infection in LA is 4%, given it’s population density, it is not unreasonable to suggest it may only be 1-2% in Ireland. That means 98-99% are vulnerable to infection. I think those thinking we have done a great job and things will be fine in a few weeks are being naive.

4 Likes

About 20 posts up you dismissed the economic forecasts of this global pandemic as a “cod” so go easy on the name calling there, mate. You get far too emotional discussing anything Covid related. There’s a million people currently completely or partially dependent on government payments at the moment. I think that might cause a ripple somehow.

2 Likes

And as things reopen that number will reduce, drastically

I’m not saying there wont be impact, of course there will. But theres lads saying this will be doomsday type stuff. It won’t. I dismissed economic doomsday.

Again, I’m accused of being emotional for responding to things like we’ll never recover with a reasonable response as to why we will

1 Like

In my view we should get on with things. Those over 70 and in the at risk categories should cocoon. Rest of us, need to back our immune systems and get the country back to what it should be doing.

You cant stop a virus by hiding away from it. Herd immunity - if it works or vaccine.

1 Like

Ireland is facing an economic nuclear bomb.

What percentage of people in Ireland do you think have been infected so far?

Churches and all closed. Could you make that up 6 months ago?

Its not fair on the people that this government are swearing that they’re protecting.

If they gave a bollocks about the elderly - they would give them the 350 euro rather than some part time students who’ll piss it up against their neighbours wall.

I have no idea. Anything else would be a wild guess

The frightening thing is that Ireland won’t have the release valve of emigration this time

2 Likes

So you want to throw roughly 13% of society under the bus?

1 Like

Quote the post where I said we’ll never recover from this and I will apologise to you immediately.

I called you a prick because of your lock everything down until theres a vaccine brigade comment.

I wont apologise for it

Whats your plan?

Fuck up 100% of the country?

Well, you could make an educated guess. 15,652 have tested positive so that’s 0.3% of the population. In LA county, which is far more densely populated than Ireland, the infection rate has been calculated at 4%. Are you seriously suggesting we can prevent a second wave by staying locked down for a few more weeks? With 96% or more of the population uninfected?

Maybe you shouldn’t call other posters stupid.

Fake news, would have to be you of course pedalling that kind of shit.

1000 more deaths nothing eh?

1 Like

There are lots of people still working from home. Services will start coming back online. Some industries will be harder hit. We can achieve this without throwing people under a bus.

2 Likes

Is exposing yourself as a simpleton your primary goal on here?

No mate, I think they’re allowed to cocoon for all time, shouldn’t be more than a few years, 25 St the most reslly