Republic of Ireland v Georgia 12/10/19 - Switzerland 15/10/19

Are we going to unleash young Connolly from the off? He wont be bullied anyway that’s for sure.

That’s the Georgians fucked so :clap:

he’ll play Scott Hogan.

Collins surely.

1 Like

Denmark Switzerland is live on virgin sports Saturday evening.

1 Like

Would be confident of high-flying, 28th-ranked Oireland getting a result against 91st-ranked Georgia. Would put us in a great position.

Assume we are looking at

=========Randolph=========
Coleman=Duffy====Egan=Doherty
========Whelan===========
===Hendrick====Hourihane====
Robinson============McClean
========Collins===========

Or will we see Hourihane go left back with someone else in midfield? Could also see Robinson start as a central striker with Judge playing on the right. Connolly the other options but think he might be kept in reserve for a bit of spark off the bench.

@Big_Dan_Campbell publicly discounted playing Hourihane at left back in a press conference the other day. Said it was worth looking at in the friendly but he was too important in midfield. He hinted at Doherty getting the nod there alright.

It wouldn’t be your style Big Mick to bring a fella from nowhere to starting him, although our options upfront are poor. As you said I’d expect Connolly from the bench if we need a goal.

wasn’t Doherty tried at left back already and it was a failure?

fuck it, put McLean at left back and give the young lad a go.

No, he played right midfield and was ineffective agsinst Gibraltar

Big Mick has never had an issue giving youth a chance. Some of our most capped players where capped as teenagers by big Mick

I’d go:
Randolph
Coleman Duffy Egan Doherty
Hendrick Whelan Hourihane
Robinson Connolly* McClean

*I’ve never seen Connolly play.

Not in competitive games first though.

My choice would be
Randolph
Coleman Duffy Egan McLean
Hendrick Browne Hourihane
Byrne
Robinson Collins

1 Like

I’ve seen a few highlights and I’m already 100% confident he’s better than all of our striking options bar McGoldrick & possibly Collins. He’s most likely vastly superior to both of them as well.

Go three at the back it would suit Egan and McLean more.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Connolly from the left but not if Doherty is behind him. I like McClean and he’s already had a couple of vital moments in this campaign but against Georgia, I’d nearly opt for someone with a bit more creativity.

I don’t think I’d start Connolly up front, if just because he’s so different to McGoldrick. I’m not saying that we’re unable to adapt our game but Connolly isn’t really going to hold the ball up, he’d be best playing alongside someone like McGoldrick.

I’ve seen Collins a few times, admittedly at a low level but he’s continued scoring this season and looked very comfortable against Bulgaria. He’s very physical, puts himself about and is full of confidence at the moment. I’d have him up top.

2 Likes

Fair points.

Georgia are handy enough too. They have two baldy fellas in their three man midfield and they’re two good players.

We’ll have to watch out for Kinkladze, Ketsbaia and Khizanishvili

1 Like