Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Just off the phone with Lucas Digne. Told me James O’Donoghue was ruined by injury. Didn’t mention any falling out with Rafa :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

His battle with Keith Higgins in the 2014 semi final replay was the best 1 vs 1 battle I ever saw. Both hall of famers at the peak of their powers. Either one of them would have been a worthy motm.

7 Likes

You love telling that story :grinning:

I think James O’Donoghue would have been the best forward of the past ten years if he hadn’t been plagued with injuries

An absolute wizard

1 Like

It’s at times like this you really miss @Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy

1 Like

I’m sure he’d be on to tell us some Ulster footballer called Naoiseán McAlooby or something was ten times the footballer O’Donoghue was but the free state media wouldn’t admit it.

14 Likes

He had a rotten run with niggles & injuries

Nordíe McShoulderchip

2 Likes

Fulvio was a massive fan of JOD.

Didn’t he rate James O’ Donoghue higher than Gooch Cooper?

Yep

:joy:

1 Like

Ulster football’s answer to Hamish McJockstrap to be fair.

2 Likes

:astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished:

2 Likes

https://tipperary.gaa.ie/tipperary-gaa-press-release-padraic-maher-retirement/

A sad day. Hard to envisage a Tipp team without him. And what a loss to the Club Championship.

Mr. Thurles Sarsfields.

2 Likes

Sad way to finish up.

At his peak he was almost unstoppable, so dominant. He was so good in the air, in particular. A fair record to win minor, u-21 and senior AI’s.

His influence has lessened in recent years as teams played around him but he’ll still be a huge loss to Colm Bonner.

And whatever about Tipp, a colossal loss to his club.

9 Likes

A great player and warrior to Tipp. He will leave a fair hole in the Tipp defence. Seems to have been around forever.

A true Hall of Famer.

He would go through a brick wall for Thurles Sarsfields.

2 Likes