Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Ulster football’s answer to Hamish McJockstrap to be fair.

2 Likes

:astonished::astonished::astonished::astonished:

2 Likes

https://tipperary.gaa.ie/tipperary-gaa-press-release-padraic-maher-retirement/

A sad day. Hard to envisage a Tipp team without him. And what a loss to the Club Championship.

Mr. Thurles Sarsfields.

2 Likes

Sad way to finish up.

At his peak he was almost unstoppable, so dominant. He was so good in the air, in particular. A fair record to win minor, u-21 and senior AI’s.

His influence has lessened in recent years as teams played around him but he’ll still be a huge loss to Colm Bonner.

And whatever about Tipp, a colossal loss to his club.

9 Likes

A great player and warrior to Tipp. He will leave a fair hole in the Tipp defence. Seems to have been around forever.

A true Hall of Famer.

He would go through a brick wall for Thurles Sarsfields.

2 Likes

A lot of shite usually spouted regarding “Hall of Famers”. Paudie Maher was a genuine Hall of Famer.

Best wishes to him in his retirement, a great player.

4 Likes

Fuck it that’s tough. Not even a few years at club to fall back on and ease out of it. Be a right shock to the system.

He was a serious operator at his peak. The fulcrum of the Tipp team for a decade. 3 All Irelands, 6 all stars, not a bad auld haul.

Is it known what happened the neck?

Big shock this morning as there was no talk of this at all.

Seriously impressive athlete. He was gold standard from day one with the Seniors.
Marked some greats and more than held his own.

Tough as fuck too, but an absolute gentleman off the pitch.
No airs or graces with him, a genuinely sound lad.

Wish him all the best. A beast of a hurler.

4 Likes

One of our greatest.

2 Likes

I had heard rumours for the last week that it was coming but sure I hoped it wasn’t true. He’s a massive loss.

Time waits for no man unfortunately

True, all good things come to an end.

Great player , iconic , bursting out with the ball leaving a trail behind him …

He always seemed to reserve his best displays against Kilkenny. They probably suited him, as they were content to lorry the ball up to the forwards and let them scrap it out. He’d inevitably win it with a clean catch and clear it, a real crowd favourite. Cody would have loved him, his type of player.

From about 2009 to around 2013/2014 he wasn’t far off being the best player in the country. Certainly one of the most consistent anyway.

I could be imagining it but thought he gave an interview only a week or two back saying he’d be going back for another year and only doing so if he’d something to offer…? Might have been another Tipp hurler but thought it was him.

Not even being able to play on with the club is the real killer.

2 Likes

That’s a shock. Best Tipp back of my lifetime anyway by a fair distance.

My auld lad had him picked out for years. Said this man will be with us for years to come.

My grandmother’s funeral was day of league final in 09. A few mates of mine who’d go to the matches with me and the auld lad came into funeral home after match. They went to express condolences with the father and all he said was “I’ve been telling ye about that Maher lads for years”.

A colossus.

7 Likes

He is a serious loss. His consistency was unbelievable. Broke on the scene cleaning Joe in the minor final in 06. Was motm in a losing under 21 final in 08 vs KK. The following year he was the reason Henry was on the sideline early in the league final in the 1st half.

His consistency was key. Rarely below a 7/10 performance although he showed signs of waning last year. A proper hard player who who almost played every game.

In his peak teams just resorted to playing the ball to the other side of the field.

5 Likes