Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Came on against both Laois and KK this year. Don’t think he featured against Dublin.

1 Like

A real vote of confidence by Kehoe in Davy there. Had he seen enough of Egan in the few months to know this was a waste of time?

Harry Kehoe says goodbye

I’m surprised Maher is only 32, he’s been around so long, he seemed to come into the tipp team fully formed. A stalwart. A player opposition loved to hate, I’m sure tipp fans loved him.

1 Like

To be fair, I was told last year by an impeccably placed Tipperary man that he contacted the player in question some time afterwards in private through an intermediary. He met him, he apologized and they shook hands.

Fair play to him. And good luck to him in retirement. At his best, Pádraic Maher was a force of nature.

5 Likes

That lad knew, and knows, sfa about hurling.

1 Like

Tadhg de Burca’s mate.

The very chap.

Canning, Maher x2 gone in the space of a few months.

TJ Reid/Richard Hogan/Noel McGrath/Callanan and Patrick Horgan likely to follow by the year’s end.

The golden generation.

I think you’re really stretching it mentioning Maher in the same context as canning, Reid, and callanan. Or the other Maher or McGrath. Excellent players over a long period of time but not in the same tier as those others you mentioned. Kyle Hayes will likely have overtaken Maher in terms of achievement before he reaches his late 20s.

Canning, Reid and Callanan are all time greats.

1 Like

He more or less told me he was ashamed of himself
for losing the rag that day.

1 Like

That’s an absolutely bizarre take.

Padraic Maher has more All Stars than Canning, Reid and Callanan.

If you want to be really glib about it Reid couldn’t nail down a place in his County team until he was 27, Callanan was 26.

Maher never missed a Championship game from 20 years of age until the end. He is an all time great. What’s that thing in Australian Cricket about ‘the true greats are never dropped’.

I wouldn’t be getting ahead of myself with Hayes either…

18 Likes

He did the right thing – and even more so, the two of them, by keeping the meeting totally private.

Must say my opinion of him went up when I heard. The man who told me would be 100% on it.

5 Likes

As long as Hayes keeps that change of pace there is really no one to hold him.

He is a guy who could go downhill but his prime is going to be spectacular

Kyle Hayes already has as many all Irelands and has all stars in two positions. He’ll probably have at least as many all stars as Maher by the time he’s 28 or 29 and will have more medals.

1 Like

Agree on KH’s potential. Another force of nature. But keeping that exhilarating change of pace is not KH’s big problem at the moment.

3 Likes

You can never look too far ahead at anything.

You can be king of the world today and nowhere tomorrow.

Fair point. That’d be my expectation anyway, we’ll see how it shakes out.

If you had said in 2016 Padraic Maher wouldn’t win another Munster medal or in 2017 he wouldn’t win another County Championship you’d have been sent to a mental hospital.

For a while people would have thought Dublin would win 10 or 11 in a row in football. Now they look closer to Division 2 than All Ireland contenders.

The wheel turns quickly.

2 Likes

I think Hayes is Limerick’s most important player really. Liable to pop up anywhere, scares direct opponents who he is also physically stronger and quicker than. Huge game intelligence as well mixing it between running game and the early cross field ball, always follows his pass etc…

If there’s one thing Limerick can very occasionally be guilty of its being too methodical through the lines and overplaying slightly. Hayes nearly always snaps them out of that. He is just so direct and does everything at pace and with conviction.