Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Lame. Have a read of JJ Barrett’s book In the Name of the Game. Kerry were winning All Ireland’s in 1923 and 1924 when their star players John Joe Sheehy and Joe Barrett were on the run.

and you were doing so well up to that… :smiley:

Not lame and the spike in the success of Ulster counties in the last 24 years as the war came to a conclusion are testament to that.

Ulster has yielded as many winning counites in the last 24 years as the other 3 provinces combined have managed in 32 years.

Staggering achievement.

[QUOTE=“Il Bomber Destro, post: 1070143, member: 2533”]Not lame and the spike in the success of Ulster counties in the last 24 years as the war came to a conclusion are testament to that.

Ulster has yielded as many winning counites in the last 24 years as the other 3 provinces combined have managed in 32 years.

Staggering achievement.[/QUOTE]

I presume this war you’re referring to is the terrorist campaign waged by the paedos/touts from 1969 until their defeat in 1994. In that 25 year time span from 1969 to 1994, the All Ireland Champions came from Northern Ireland on three occasions, Down on two occasions and Derry. The reason why Ulster teams won nothing for most of the 1970’s and 1980’s was the two traditional superpowers of the game Dublin and Kerry, both possibly had their finest ever teams.

In the 20 seasons since 1994, Northern Ireland teams have won the All Ireland Championship on four occasions, just one more than they did during the ‘war’ years.

How does this ‘war’ theory of yours stack up in relation to Cavan? A month before it all kicked off in August 1969, Cavan won their 36th Ulster Football title. They’ve only won one since, in 1997. There was no ‘war’ in Cavan.

It should also be noted that Donegal is part of Éire and not the Northern Ireland part of the United Kingdom. What’s the co-relation between Donegal’s All Ireland wins in 1992 and 2012 and the ‘war’?

[QUOTE=“Manuel Zelaya, post: 1070239, member: 377”]I presume this war you’re referring to is the terrorist campaign waged by the paedos/touts from 1969 until their defeat in 1994. In that 25 year time span from 1969 to 1994, the All Ireland Champions came from Northern Ireland on three occasions, Down on two occasions and Derry. The reason why Ulster teams won nothing for most of the 1970’s and 1980’s was the two traditional superpowers of the game Dublin and Kerry, both possibly had their finest ever teams.

In the 20 seasons since 1994, Northern Ireland teams have won the All Ireland Championship on four occasions, just one more than they did during the ‘war’ years.

How does this ‘war’ theory of yours stack up in relation to Cavan? A month before it all kicked off in August 1969, Cavan won their 36th Ulster Football title. They’ve only won one since, in 1997. There was no ‘war’ in Cavan.

It should also be noted that Donegal is part of Éire and not the Northern Ireland part of the United Kingdom. What’s the co-relation between Donegal’s All Ireland wins in 1992 and 2012 and the ‘war’?[/QUOTE]

4 in 20 years is 20%.
1:5
6 into 32 goes 5.33 times
5.33 * 20% = 1.066

16 in 20 is 80%
4:5
26 into 32 goes 1.23 times
1.23 * 80% = 0.984

1.066 > 0.984

Thanks for proving my theory, Manuel.

Not sure if there is any specific name or type, but I do a 1500m time trial, and group them into 15 second groupings. Then from that get the metre per second rate, add 20% and multiply it by 15 seconds to get a 15 second distance. Typically would range from 70 to 80m or so in results and do reps based on that. Dan Baker who is or was a fitness coach with Brisbane broncos was where I found info firstly, and took it from there on.

As Kev says, heaps to be found. I always dip into other sports training too for versatility and something different, eg American football agility work and ball catching. There are Aussie rules drills I adapted to suit Gaelic in decision making skills. Above all, don’t get bogged down by structured drills and monotonous shit. Some lads go to these conferences and courses just to get handbooks of drills, and they try encourage you to develop individual drills based on your team or player and the particular needs for them.

[QUOTE=“Gman, post: 1070267, member: 112”]Not sure if there is any specific name or type, but I do a 1500m time trial, and group them into 15 second groupings. Then from that get the metre per second rate, add 20% and multiply it by 15 seconds to get a 15 second distance. Typically would range from 70 to 80m or so in results and do reps based on that. Dan Baker who is or was a fitness coach with Brisbane broncos was where I found info firstly, and took it from there on.

As Kev says, heaps to be found. I always dip into other sports training too for versatility and something different, eg American football agility work and ball catching. There are Aussie rules drills I adapted to suit Gaelic in decision making skills. Above all, don’t get bogged down by structured drills and monotonous shit. Some lads go to these conferences and courses just to get handbooks of drills, and they try encourage you to develop individual drills based on your team or player and the particular needs for them.[/QUOTE]
Ya I have plenty tables available if you want them, and a test that’s more accurate (if really needed). I still use a 1.2 or 1.6 time trial most of the time.

Not sure what you are doing with the 20%. Anyway, the better test, which is a form of beep test, just gives you MAS or vV02. Then you do your interval training based on whatever you want. Weather it’s for intensive aerobic intervals, anaerobic intervals, lactate threshold intervals etc.

I generally do it in 4 min sets for the high end aerobic stuff, studies show this to be close to optimum time. Then you do light drills for 4 mins or medium intensity drills for 8 mins and repeat. Generally wouldn’t go over 2 sets, but a 3rd can be done for over reaching with elite athletes.

I would be wary of Rugby League stuff though, their end game is quite different to GAA sports

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1070293, member: 273”]Ya I have plenty tables available if you want them, and a test that’s more accurate (if really needed). I still use a 1.2 or 1.6 time trial most of the time.

Not sure what you are doing with the 20%. Anyway, the better test, which is a form of beep test, just gives you MAS or vV02. Then you do your interval training based on whatever you want. Weather it’s for intensive aerobic intervals, anaerobic intervals, lactate threshold intervals etc.

I generally do it in 4 min sets for the high end aerobic stuff, studies show this to be close to optimum time. Then you do light drills for 4 mins or medium intensity drills for 8 mins and repeat. Generally wouldn’t go over 2 sets, but a 3rd can be done for over reaching with elite athletes.

I would be wary of Rugby League stuff though, their end game is quite different to GAA sports[/QUOTE]

Yeah if you have anything handy, send it on.

Yer man has branched out into soccer and AFL with that too as far as I know. I assume the 20% is added on as the time trial run is over 1.5k, so they should be running a 15 second run quicker than the speed of a 1.5k run. I have a report somewhere that he wrote, will try dig it out. There are varying ways of doing the reps, above was just the easiest way of simplifying the basic when writing off the phone. But same principles, two sets with a set no longer than 3-5 mins, depending on time of season and intensity looking for. I know it’s the same system Mick Dempsey uses too.

Found that article too
http://www.danbakerstrength.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Receng-trends-in-high-intensity-aerobic_training.pdf

[QUOTE=“Gman, post: 1070305, member: 112”]Yeah if you have anything handy, send it on.

Yer man has branched out into soccer and AFL with that too as far as I know. I assume the 20% is added on as the time trial run is over 1.5k, so they should be running a 15 second run quicker than the speed of a 1.5k run. I have a report somewhere that he wrote, will try dig it out. There are varying ways of doing the reps, above was just the easiest way of simplifying the basic when writing off the phone. But same principles, two sets with a set no longer than 3-5 mins, depending on time of season and intensity looking for. I know it’s the same system Mick Dempsey uses too.

Found that article too
http://www.danbakerstrength.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Receng-trends-in-high-intensity-aerobic_training.pdf[/QUOTE]
The 20% is related to 120%MAS training which is the high end aerobic interval training. It’s more about hitting a particular energy system. It’s the manipulation of time and pace.
If you do 120%MAS for 30 secs with 90 secs break then you would be testing your lactate capacity (harder running, longer break).

All of this is very relevant in Gaelic football as you have to hit all energy systems. ATP, aerobic, anerobic, lactate etc. You use more or less everything and they all kick in at different intervals. Basically it’s not just about those 15/15 sets that Barker uses, for Gaelic. Unfortunately Gaelic is probably the most complex field sport there is, along with AFL, to physically prepare for. It’s really easy to under or over do anything.
I’ll send on what I have later. Read the complimentary training blog as well, Mladen something or other is the guy, he is good at simplifying a lot of it.

[QUOTE=“caoimhaoin, post: 1070314, member: 273”]The 20% is related to 120%MAS training which is the high end aerobic interval training. It’s more about hitting a particular energy system. It’s the manipulation of time and pace.
If you do 120%MAS for 30 secs with 90 secs break then you would be testing your lactate threshold (harder running, longer break).

All of this is very relevant in Gaelic football as you have to hit all energy systems. ATP, aerobic, anerobic, lactate etc. You use more or less everything and they all kick in at different intervals. Basically it’s not just about those 15/15 sets that Barker uses, for Gaelic. Unfortunately Gaelic is probably the most complex field sport there is, along with AFL, to physically prepare for. It’s really easy to under or over do anything.
I’ll send on what I have later. Read the complimentary training blog as well, Mladen something or other is the guy, he is good at simplifying a lot of it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I generally do 15 seconds and 45 second rest, so it’s easy enough to track in minute reps. As I said, it would depend on the time of season and the time of preparation with the times and reps. It’s only a part of an overall plan tho and just adds to the system. I find it works well tho, and compliments my theory that you shouldn’t be training all players together with the same conditions for everyone. It should be segmented to suit athletic ability and also playing position. Think I spoke with you about that before anyway?

Cheers for sending on anything you have too.

[QUOTE=“Gman, post: 1070315, member: 112”]Yeah I generally do 15 seconds and 45 second rest, so it’s easy enough to track in minute reps. As I said, it would depend on the time of season and the time of preparation with the times and reps. It’s only a part of an overall plan tho and just adds to the system. I find it works well tho, and compliments my theory that you shouldn’t be training all players together with the same conditions for everyone. It should be segmented to suit athletic ability and also playing position. Think I spoke with you about that before anyway?

Cheers for sending on anything you have too.[/QUOTE]
Ya, individual capability is very important. Positional training is becoming trickier and really comes from conditioned games now I think.
It seems obvious that a full back or full forward needs acceleration over a longer distance than others or may reach higher speeds in 1v1’s, but the way the game is gone everyone almost needs the same training. Where positional stuff is different now is in the gym or actual technical coaching in mini-games and full games.

Very little mention of Damien Hayes’ retirement, although I think it was hinted at before on here. I presume this wasn’t completely his decision lads? @flattythehurdler[/USER] [USER=686]@Kinvara’s Passion ?

He was some fucking yoke in his pomp. :clap:

Not the brightest spark but a sound cunt all the same. Happy retirement to the chap.
A Galway Legend???

:popcorn:

[QUOTE=“carryharry, post: 1070408, member: 1517”]He was some fucking yoke in his pomp. :clap:

Not the brightest spark but a sound cunt all the same. Happy retirement to the chap.
A Galway Legend???[/QUOTE]
I’d say he was a “spikey” cunt to be marking shall we say. Still he was practically unplayable on his day and had an unreal understanding with Canning. Should have, could have, etc.

As Galway forwards go over the past 15 years bar JC you wouldn’t class too many better than Damien.

Some fucking goal in fairness. All the tricks on show. :clap::clap::clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr0dsh4AfZQ

[QUOTE=“carryharry, post: 1070420, member: 1517”]Some fucking goal in fairness. All the tricks on show. :clap::clap::clap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr0dsh4AfZQ
[/QUOTE]
He fairly mugged off Sean Óg there, mugged him off good and proper. Unreal.

And he carrying a bit of weight to boot :clap:

Great goal. Was that a league final or something?

[QUOTE=“carryharry, post: 1070408, member: 1517”]He was some fucking yoke in his pomp. :clap:

A Galway Legend???[/QUOTE]

Would he be a good man to sell a car?

Highest championship goal scorer of all time for Galway