Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

He was ran out of Newcastle West so I can only imagine what it was like at intercounty level.

Its absolutely amazing how many jobs he got, and still gets.
Many young lads now varely know who he is. I woukd have sympathy only he was actually taken aside by a respected friend of his and told he may not be suited to it. Hope he just gets stuck in with Sars soon and enjoys being with a young lads team or something. He is ruining his legendary status.

Alan Brogan has finally hung up the boots. Nice way to finish running the length of the field to score the insurance point against Kerry. A cracking footballer and a big voice in the Dublin dressing room.

9 Likes

Better player than his brother for me.

Hard to compare, he played with inferior teams than Bernard in the early stages and had to carry them a lot more, was slightly on the wane as this Dublin team hit their peak. Great player though.

I’d have Connolly above them both.

1 Like

Declan O Sullivan has been forced to give up entirely. Has had another operation this morning. 32 years of age, his knees have simply given up. A fine end to the career in getting South Kerry over the line a few weeks ago. He was on one knee going into the drawn game. By the time the replay came around the other knee was creaking, he lasted into injury time where he crumpled in a heap again, and yet still was there at the end forcing and taking the free that set the winning score in motion.

He left nothing in the tank.

3 Likes

How twee.

2 Likes

Agreed.

2 legends of the game in 1 day. Both played it the way it should be played. Comfortable off either foot and proper team players - a dying breed in the modern game full of juiced up gym monkeys who can’t kick the ball.

6 Likes

He hadn’t been able to travel on the team bus the last while as his body couldn’t hack the sitting. Knees are barely held together by all accounts. You’d fear for his long term health.

Some player.

1 Like

Agreed but Paul is a limited enough player.

2 Likes

:smile:

Alan was a different beast entirely from Bernard. Maybe early on he was an orthodox corner forward, but he developed his game far more from there. Bernard is a pure finisher, Alan had far more to his box of tricks, but he could never finish like Bernard. As Julio said, hard to compare. 3 All Irelands though, jesus you wouldn’t have seen that a few years ago.

All his brothers, on mature reflection.

He really shouldnt have been in a position to line out with South Kerry this year, but I think he was coaxed back by the manager who is a former team mate with the divisional side. Probably suffered from doing what many intercounty players dont do, giving so much back to the club. You’d really hope the surgeries should be able to give him some comfort of life going forward. In full flight he was a joy to watch.

wasn’t cian o Sullivan in the papers this morning saying he’d doubt brogan was retiring im sure this was discussed at their recent team holiday

How would he travel to games if he couldn’t sit? Lying on a mattress in the back of a van being driven by a clubman or something?

2 Likes

He flew to Croker. I presume he drove to closer places stopping to stretch the legs

:smiley:

1 Like

:smile:

It’s just the twee hyperbole that goes with Kerry footballers.

2 Likes