Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

davids, declans, always mixing up teams, it was a long time ago. he was half forward though in that, it was an U16 game.

Joe Kernan is too I see.

Was Brogan wing back on Dublin minor team that beat Wexford in 1999 Leinster Final after a replay?

That Dublin keeper’s book is meant to be excellent.

he was depressed, quelle surprise

I think he was - possibly played centre back of all positions the following year. Was absolutely lightning but as he mentioned on the radio not too enamoured with the defending side of things.

The Dublin keeper book is very good - see my short review in the Sports Books thread.

Is that Supple or the Vins Keeper (Murphy?)

Ah God no, Sups wouldnt be into that. John Leonard.

You’d know pretty quickly which one you were playing…Davids were a potent mix of croabh chiarain and parnells amongst other clubs…all under the guidance of Mr. Talty…a tastey shower…declans were a mixture of brigids and oliver plunketts by and large…a much nicer bunch all be it with a sprinkling from finbarrs…

3 Likes

Is this the guy who used to play for Syls around mid 90’s and thought he was David James? bleached blond hair et al??..so unique to find a lad who went on benders and dropped pills back then…

John Leonard interview

https://soundcloud.com/offtheball/dub-sub-confidential-john-leonard-interview

Ebeneezer might know

he drank a lot, dropped pills and had 1 night stands,what a tearaway

2 Likes

Hunter S Thompson alright.

I read a transcript of his 16 hour binge in preperation for writing recently. What a crazy cunt.

2.00 pm dunhill
2.07 pm Chivas
2.12 pm cocaine

And in in that pattern all day and night till ready to write.

Brian Carroll. Played 14 years intercounty and not even a provincial medal. His late father RIP broke Galway hearts in 1981 and was on the panel again in 1985 but too ill to play. Passed away in March 1986. Died at 30 with 2 AI medals, and now son Brian retires at 32 with no silverware. Isn’t life strange.

2 Likes

Best of luck with his retirement, but I find the tone of your post odd. Was he entitled to win silverware because of his father, or because he played 14 years? Offaly have been in terminal decline for the length of his service, simple as that.

1 Like

+1. I don’t find it strange that a player in a successful generation of Offaly players won medals and his son who played when they were shit didn’t.

1 Like

My post addressed how odd life can be, not whether Brian Carroll should or shouldn’t have won medals.

Brian Murphy retiring…again.

1 Like

Eoin Lennon has retired. Looked way off the pace last year and doesn’t look to have recovered from the ankle injury he sustained in the 2014 League final.

More midfield woes for Monaghan, I saw they had Karl O’Connell named at midfield last week. :eek:

Monaghan have been 2 players short of being a top side for around 8 years now.

We’re punching way above our weight as it is. Residing in the top 6 year on year,given our pick of players, is rightly applauded.

Midfield was always the big weakness and there was always a candle being lit for Lennon to return. But as Nembo said, he never recovered from that gammy ankle. The 2 Hughes look the preferred option in the middle now with 1 or 2 new additions to take the burden of McManus.

1 Like