Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

So you say when you keep harping on about him. Canavan has a long record of producing when it was really needed. He was pretty much a one man team for Tyrone in the 90s. The closest analogy I can give right now is Monaghan and McManus but on a larger scale. Of course Canavan had his off days too but they were few and far between. There’s very little to make up for Timmy’s many disappearing acts for Kerry. What’s his best match winning performance for Kerry for example?

For those who dare think Gooch was better than Canavan, look at this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6l9i6VuVKM&t=2481s

Em, you were the one who was trying to make it about that.

The purpose of my post was to correct the nonsense you wrote about Canavan’s performances in the 1997-2000 period, when he suffered badly with injury, usually inflicted upon him through no fault of his own.

I didn’t say anything about Cooper.

Canavan made some balls of that there for a finish after tapping over the ten handy frees.

1 Like

What are you on about?

Was it ten or nine handy ones he got? I thought I only counted nine.

1 Like

Whats gas is nembo hardly ever saw Canavan play, especially back in 90’s

1 Like

Twas the bit where he stumbled around like he was pissed up before handling the ball on the ground in the last minute when his team was a point down and he was handed a chance to win a replay.
Then spent years claiming that the ball was bouncing and slandering poor old Paddy Russell.

2 Likes

It was almost a travesty that Tyrone slipped up to give that Dublin team such a soft All Ireland after their brethren denying them over and over for most of the 90s

Any views as to whether The Gooch was the GOAT lads? It’d be a great debate.

Was he as good as Canavan for example?

Canavan settled this himself last night. Debate over.

Gooch is better than Canavan.

Some of us mid life crisis fellas and the pensioners lads have decided Fitz, Spillane and Jacko were better than either of them.

We actually saw these lads play. I opt out for anything pre 82. I would have thought most fellas would have similar criteria for judging footballers.

2 Likes

My earliest memory would have been 78, the year Paddy Cullen handed the ball to Mikey Sheehy and the Bomber went mad in the second half

Maurice Fitz was a joy to behold in his pomp and a pure pleasure to watch. My GOAT*, followed by Jacko

The Gooch was good but a whinge. And, lest we forget, a ginge

• non Dub obvs

http://m.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/eoin-liston-gooch-was-messi-federer-and-ruby-all-rolled-into-one-35598254.html

Speaking of Ruby and cooper. Ruby was on some show on RTE the other night and was being interviewed with the lady who owned Cruising (the showjumper) who she has cloned twice. They were having a chat about cloning and Ruby was making the point that he didn’t think it was a good thing and there was always something you wouldn’t want to clone in a horse. He then said "it’s like if you were going to clone the gooch you’d want to clone the skills but definitely not the looks " :joy:

He’s some ignorant fkr

4 Likes

That was “Big Week on the Farm”. He’s some dullard cunt, he’s barely literate. Not sure he even realised he had to look at a camera when talking. It’s amazing he can even stand upright.

Actual sportsmen being compared to midgets who whip horses annoys me

4 Likes

I often think too much credence is put on claims by players or former players in the media when discussing other players or lads who have retired. I have no interest in getting involved in the who was better debate but given the kind of fella Peter Canavan is would anyone really have expected him to come out and say that he considered him a better player than the Gooch immediately after Gooch retires or at any point?

5 Likes

+1,000.

Is that why no Dublin player has said a peep since Coopers announcement?