Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

I couldn’t be sure but thought canavan was fouled nearly every time he got the ball in '95 ?..Dubs were savage cynical in that game as far as I remember…gavin was dubs extra defender…they were just so desperate to finally get over the line and done whatever it took…

Don’t know, I’d have to watch the tape back.

By the same mark if you add the times that Cooper was fouled, never mind gouged, and scored the resulting free his statistics would take a favourable bump up.

Is that eye gouging not one of the most unsubstantiated claims ever made?.. you know the ones that surface every time kerry are bet? …

2 Likes

I wasn’t referring to that at all but now that you bring it up I’d say it’s a close second to Gary Kirby’s finger.

:joy:

Nah, I saw it with my own two eyes.

1 Like

Rub it in why don’t ya!

Only one of us had 20/20 vision after. Finbars big shovel glove couldn’t get to me.

Munster is the home of Irish sport, hurling, football, soccer rugby, boxing, horse racing, athletics, everything

1 Like

Not a sport.

1 Like

its the king of sports

'97: wasn’t fully fit, his ankle was still giving him grief after John McDermott made shit of it. Still played an important role against Down and Armagh. Tyrone were cleaned out all over the pitch against Derry and there was fuck all he could do given that.
'98: didn’t play in Tyrone’s only championship game, a loss to Down, due to having his jaw smashed with a blind side punch in a club game.
'99: was excellent against Fermanagh and Down but Tyrone collapsed in midfield and defence in the second half against Down.
2000: injured and only came on in the second half as a clearly unfit sub in Tyrone’s only game against Armagh.

Bit much to expect him to play a pivotal role when injured, I would have thought, although he was able to in 2003, which shows his greatness.

1 Like

you may as well round off the excuses for 2001 and 2002 as well sure while you are at it.

Again, this isnt about Canavan. This about using Canavan as the bench mark on which Gooch is being compared.

Little and all as I know about football, but would the likes of Spillane not have been a better forward?

It would seem you expected Canavan to win those matches single-handedly for mediocre Tyrone teams, while injured. That can be the only conclusion from the nonsense you wrote about his 1997-2000 period.

Perhaps you also expected him to win matches single-handedly in 1993, when he also missed the championship through injury?

And maybe the 1996 All-Ireland semi-final too?

1 Like

100%.
Even sub-culture matters.
Were Fitzgerald or Gooch from cork nobody would ever have seen them.
If JBM was even from Midleton is doubtful we’d have seen him and he certainly wouldn’t make it now. He’d be playing MSL.

1 Like

Not a forward no, although Pat could score. But as a full package footballer, absolutely.

christ, I didnt pick you to be as dumb as nembo.

this isnt about Canavan and what he did or didnt do. this is about using Canavan as being the barometer of whether or not a player can be regarded as the best of all time and that when applying the Goochs record to Canavan, he doesnt come close to him, that the Gooch never did anything close to what Canavan did. If using Canavan as the benchmark, then Cooper’s performances and records stand up quite well with him and certainly on a par with him. Whether one wants to argue if either or is the best ever, they can do so. That isnt my point. both of them are in the discussion. To try state one of them isnt is foolish.

1 Like

You’re never going to get agreement on who the best footballer was…it’s too subjective …for me maurice fitz. was the one I most enjoyed watching performing the skills…he could do everything. .connolly is the nearest all rounder to him I’ve seen but hasn’t yet reached his heights. .

1 Like

1 Like