Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Its about all retired footballers. And Tyrone footballers have an awful lot to do with the legacy of this latest Kerry team.

It doesnt take much to amuse you to be fair

Yes but its only the Tyrone guys who have retired in the last 24 hours I think.
The legacy of teams if very subjective I think and its hard to get people who are objective about these things! It goes without saying that as a true Cork man you would be embellishing the legacy of your near neighbours every chance you get !!! :slight_smile:

Maybe but I have to say I do enjoy yourself and Kev’s bickering at times.

Somehorse, you sound far too polite and level-headed for this forum.

Not really I just wouldnt want to get involved in their differences and I find the discussion on football is interesting at times and its good to hear a different perspective on things.

Jaysus if you think this is bickering you are new here :ph34r:

Well thats what its all about isn’t it.

Ciaran MacManus has retired. As big a BIFFO as there ever was, he was some servant to them all the same. A GAA legend for his post match interview in the first year of the qualfiers and subsequently dropkicking his MOTM award down the hallway in Conleths Park. A good UCD servant also :clap:

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 630817”]To even call the Kerry team of the past 10 years golden is an insult to a far superior real Golden era team. They were a very good Kerry team, but not a great team.

Agree on the 00’s though, great football decade. Generally a poor Hurling one though.[/quote]

Apart from all of us witnessing the greatest hurling team of all time.

Remind me of that interview please? I think I was in the US for that summer. No surprise he was a good UCD servant given he was there for around a decade!

[quote=“caoimhaoin, post: 630834”]

Its about all retired footballers. And Tyrone footballers have an awful lot to do with the legacy of this latest Kerry team.[/quote]

It’s about all retiring GAA stars Kev

Why are they referred to as stars?

Retiring GAA parasites would be a more apt term.

As best I can recall Bandage, it was the first year of the qualifiers and Mc won MOTM in the game against Kildare that went to Extra Time with Offaly being done in the last few minutes by a questionable refereeing decision. McManus was visibly thick as fuck (even more so than normal which was impressive for both him and an Offaly man) and grunted his way through the interview with some RTÉ minion, turned on his heels and as he walked away you could hear the noise of the trophy being bate down the hallway. It subsequently emerged that he kicked it. The RTÉ minion was trying to get him to talk up the game and the qualifiers, Mc wasnt on for it.

He did a bit of time in UCD alright in fairness to him, but I believe he has a job of note in ESB Intl now if memory serves me. He did some travelling for Offaly there for 2 years from some back end of Eastern Europe*

*I cant honestly recall where but it took a few different flights to get out of there.

Did Stevie McDonnell announce his retirement from inter-county football or what? Only asking because they were mentioning it on the highlights on Friday night. Maybe I missed it but I didn’t read that he had retired.

It was my belief that it was his retirement from that abomination only I believe Sid.

Ya they were handy, but really it was Cork and Waterford and the very last Final between Tipp & KK that kept it alive. Too many years with just one or maybe at a stretch two good games of high quality.

Qualifiers are a prime example of whats good for Football ain’t always good for Hurling, and i can’t believe they still treat the 2 of them together all the time.

Enda McGinley has hung em up now as well. An absolute workhorse of a player he was incredibly underrated I felt, but I guess that will happen in a team as associated with a system as Tyrone were. Remember him as a minor as well and looked a really intelligent player back then. Goes out with a serious medal haul and an All Star, nowt wrong with that.

I think the phrase he used was “We were rode by the referee out there today”

Cha Fitzpatrick has announced his retirement at the ripe old age of 26. Citing a lack of game time and opportunity. The increased fitness and training demands of intercounty hurling was always going to claim victims. He was noticeably slow this year though (especially in the Wexford game as far as I remember? I’ll have to watch it again. On second thoughts, no I won’t, too much phychological scarring).

Dunph, what odds would you give me on Cha making a comeback in 2 years?

Lack of game time impels Fitzpatrick to quit Kilkenny panel

IAN O’RIORDAN
FIVE-TIME All-Ireland winner James “Cha” Fitzpatrick has admitted the failure to make the Kilkenny hurling team has prompted his retirement aged just 26 – although he hardly disguised his frustration at the lack of playing opportunities this season.
Fitzpatrick had started for Kilkenny at midfield in the 2010 All-Ireland final, which they lost to Tipperary, but couldn’t nail down his starting place this summer as Kilkenny went on to regain the title in convincing fashion, and with that began to ask himself “is the juice worth the squeeze?”
He informed Kilkenny manager Brian Cody of his decision over the weekend, although speaking last night, Fitzpatrick conveyed an air of disappointment that he wasn’t actually being given a proper shot at a starting place.
“No matter what I did in training, no matter how well I played, it just didn’t seem I was going to get a go at all,” he said. “So if I was to go back next year I would find the motivation very hard, because deep down inside, I felt no matter what I did in training, it didn’t seem like I was going to get picked. I could be here again in 12 months’ time in the same situation.”
Fitzpatrick is certainly not the first player to find himself frustrated at the lack of playing opportunities under Cody: in 2003 then captain Charlie Carter quit the panel over what he felt was lack of playing time, and Cody has never been one show to show sentimentality when it comes to team selections.
Now based as a teacher in Dublin, Fitzpatrick also felt the long commute to training, with no reward, added to his frustrations, and admitted he had been contemplating his retirement from the start of the year:
“The season just gone I suppose was make or break for me. If it didn’t really happen for me I decided I was going to move on. Unfortunately it didn’t work for me, personally, but it was still a great year for Kilkenny.
“But it is a huge level of commitment, travelling up and down (from Dublin). At the end of all that you’d like to be rewarded for your efforts, and the only way you can rewarded is playing. But it is so competitive at the top level. It just shows the strength in the squad. So much goes into it, you have to take stock at the end of the year, and ask yourself is the juice worth the squeeze.
“I suppose one of the things against me was my lack of speed. I remember during the year doing drills with Michael Fennelly, Michael Rice, and the lads were just powerhouses, testing me for every step.
“For every stride Michael Fennelly takes I’m taking two or three. Obviously I have great vision and hurling on the pitch, but the way the game has gone it’s just huge, huge fitness levels and speed, and that’s one area that’s come against me.”
Fitzpatrick captained Kilkenny to their 2008 All-Ireland success, and also won an All-Ireland with his club Ballyhale Shamrocks, but even at age 26 is adamant his intercounty is career is over – and has already made plans to go travelling next summer.
“As a young player coming in, at 19 or 20, I had no problems serving my time on the bench, especially with some of the older lads there. So I suppose I’ve been on both sides of the fence, but there’s really only one side to be on. So I’ve drawn a line in the sand.
“I’ve been involved with the Kilkenny senior team for eight years now, and won five All-Ireland medals. It’s been a wonderful journey. I suppose I was almost spoilt for success.”