Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Miskella has bowed out for both Club and County. Its a shame he couldnt dedicate a few years at the end solely to Club, always sad when that happens, but he’s 33 and had a decent run of it all the same.

Got advice from doctors to call it a day

Was incredibly injury prone, a pity, he was a serious operator when going well. Had a massive part in All-Ireland, and was heading in right direction last year.

Often ridiculed by club mates and members for his commitment to them, which i always though was really unfair. Having played against him all the way up to and past 21’s i thought he was an incredible player for Ballincollig. Think they expected too much from him in later years. They won’t win a county without him for a while.

Miskella was a good player who suffered from a lot injuries early on his in career and seem to play his best football when in his 30s.

He was unheralded compared to some of the Cork players but ironically was a better player than a lot of their bigger names.

He was a rarity in that he was a good back and an effective forward. Seems like an alright sort as well.

But he’s a cop.

We’d have won no All-Ireland without him.

:slight_smile:

I dont know him and only judged him on the pitch!! He was good in 2010. But I thought he was better in 09. I thought Jacks plans to nullify him in the final worked well-it needed to work!

And there goes Anthony Lynch out the door in Cork. Can any of the Cork fellas tell us is this thing being encouraged by Counihan in an effort to freshen up the panel? I realise Miskella was injury and Lynch has his own injury problems and is no spring chicken at this stage, but was wondering can we expect a few more and perhaps have a few lower profile panellists already been encouraged to step away?

It was without doubt the winning of that final.

That and Tommy Walsh.

Probably had meetings recently, but they both got weight programs, so that would suggest they went of their own accord. Miskella definitely did, and considering anytime Lynch manages to get out on a pitch he’s the best player there i’d doubt CC would be getting rid. But to be honest i couldn’t be sure.

Lynch was an excellent player for a long time. Pity he wasnt actually playing when he got his medal but he got one.
Its less of a surprise to see him go rather than Miskella.
He had a great career though.

Funny enough curbing his influence and Miskellas was a big thing for Kerry in the final. Its amazing they retired at the same time.

I dont think they would have been pushed. Miskella looks like he went for injury terms. I presume with Lynch it was age and or injury.

Ya Lynchie has been battling it for a long time. Played with and against him, a legend to be fair, and a real top man. Straight as you’ll find. Scored a goal in a Minor semi final against us i’ll never forget, from center back.

Not sure if he’s interested, but i think he’d be a good coach/manager. Micheal Cronin is already working hard back at Naomh Aban and seems to be getting alot out of a tiny pick at underage. Himself and Lynchie would be a good duo.

Eddie Brennan retiring according to RTE

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/championship/2012/0113/brennane.html

Thanks for the memories Eddie

Have heard hes lined up to hurl with Portlaoise this year, this would tie in with that. Hed’d be a massive addition to them, an extra forward is all they’re missing in Laois and could do damage beyond also.

Miskella is giving back to the club by taking the Intermediate hurlers physical training. Fair play, you’d think he’d take a year or two, but is giving straight back.

Christ, talk about going out on top. Eddie Brennan we salute you, one of the finer forwards of recent years, a deadly impact player if ever there was one. He leaves us having set up possibly the finest goal I have ever seen on a hurling field, having made the longest run of his entire career.

8 All Irelands.

Best of luck Eddie.

:rolleyes:

He’s a pig.

If he wasn’t a high profile intercounty hurler he would have been kicked out of the force

The most successful thing he has done in his life is most likely something trivial like fining some young fella for bald tyres or what-not. It fits the bill when a mundaneothy like Fitzy comes on here lauding him.

This is the Retiring GAA Stars thread. Not the thread to comment on the personal or professional lives of GAA Stars. So fuck off you cunts.

Oh look, Totti invented a word.

To put it in the words of a timeless song, “Especially for you”.