Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Was a messy spot for a while back then alright.

He hurled for LIT and is now a brand ambassador

Sometimes younglads get drunk and make fools of themselves. Good job there was nobody around with a camera phone to record it and shame them with footage after. Young people nowadays have it really tough.

6 Likes

He lost his brother, his grandfather I presume… the third one?

Tough year

A cousin of Pat Spillane I believe

yes, Spillane mother was from the Lyne farm just outside Killarney town

2 Likes

Donie Shine has called it a day.

Heard James o donghue is gone too

He was an extraordinary player in his day, I loved to watch him

A strange talent and a grand lad. (Sighs). Very good from placed balls, big and strong but one-paced and one-sided. A Clann na Gael man for sure but no Tony McManus. 40 years since his heyday the mention of his name still frightens me, the fucker.*

• In the kindest fashion.
3 Likes

A great career finished by the end of his minor days. Admirable

What was the reason for this? Injuries or just lost interest ?

That’s sad. Could have been an all time great if things fell different for him

How many good seasons did he have ? I remember 2013 and 2014 but not much after .that’s not to say he didn’t have more,I just can’t remember

An excellent player. I saw him give Conor Gormley loads of it in a qualifier in Croker one year. And he destroyed us many times as well.

He did his shoulder after 14. Never right again afterwards, racked up all sorts of injuries. He was unplayable in 14. Would have been about 24 then and looked like he was just coming into his prime. Last six years have been basically a write off

1 Like

Class player. Typical quality Kerry forward that they seem to breed down there.

O’Donoghue at his peak was the best Kerry forward I’ve seen but it was a short window.

3 Likes