Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

James wouldnt make the top 5

Fitz the best in my view

John Egan didnt attract much limelight but so highly rated by many

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Fitzgerald in his peak used line out at midfield on occasion for Kerry and you say the main part of his repertoire was free taking , i doubt James could play midfield

Fitzgerald could field in the air with the best of them, was a brillant footpasser that made many a score for team mates. he played on dross kerry teams for 7 years or so and shone like a beacon, free taking was only part of him

8 Likes

Maurice Fitzgerald travelled to Australia and defeated allcomers in the world kicking championship

John Egan was a smashing player …I don’t think o donohue at wing forward worked too well in 2014 …he came into final as the hottest inside forward in the country …yet he played outside his scoring range and don’t think he registered one score …Kerry won because of a poor mistake by Donegal keeper for kick out which donaghy finished

1 Like

He didnt score in the final but performed the role required of him on the day, Geaney and Donaghy both got goals in the full forward line and were a danger a so it all worked out in the end. it threw Donegal a bit as well as they would have been preparing for ODonoghue in his more orthodox role

The 2015 all ireland final v Dublin where O;Donoghue was substitued and he was after kicking 3 points from play which no other kerry forward managed that day, now that was a strange call

He was electric against the Dubs in 2013.

1 Like

yes he was, it was an electric match that day!

That was an incredible game. The reverse pass by the gooch for Walsh’s goal was majestic.

Ranking Kerry forwards across generations is an impossible task
Only certainties in my top 5 are Maurice and Spillane.
I’d have Declan O’Sullivan higher than most I’d say, Galvin also(not too 5 mind)

But O’Donoghue at his best :heart_eyes:, nobody could lay a finger on him

Slight bit of recency bias about JOD I feel. A great talent alright, the shoulder injuries fucked him.

1 Like
1 Like

Dinny Booth has retired. He knelt on Dermot Earley and boxed the ears off him on his debut in an O’Byrne Cup game for Laois iirc. You’d always hold a soft spot in your heart for him after that.

1 Like

And you have Clifford in the mix now as well!

Cc @Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy

3 Likes

Dublin legend GBNF

Hasn’t been able to do it on the big day yet.

2 Likes

John Egan got a massive send off from Curraheen Church Bishopstown, one of the biggest I’ve seen

1 Like

Not sure if it’s been mentioned here but James Skehill retired yesterday. Surprised he was only 32. Seemed to have been around forever.

A limited lad but gave it everything. How he kept coming back under a clatter of different managers to be a mostly bit part player always amazed me.