Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

That’s because the cameras were there that day

2 Likes

Paddy carried Brigids to the Leinster club final in 2011 where they were beaten by a point by Garrycastle. Those performances got him back into the Dublin squad. A solid performer - good target man and well able to take a score from acute angle. His high points were 15-17 championships knockout stages where Jim knew he could rely on him to give Mayo all sorts of bother. One of the last great characters within the squad.

6 Likes

what relation if any - is he to Paddy Andrews , same club

Very good intelligent forward that could kick points. Prime wise he would’ve got on any team in the country.

Peader, brother I think

Amazing the lack of underage success that era of Dublin players had.

I’d say McMenamon, McMahon, Andrews, O’Sullivan, Flynn, Daly, MDMA and Bernard Brogan barely have a Leinster Minor or Under 21 medal between them never mind an underage All Ireland?

Peadar is his older brother.

Daly won a junior all ireland I think. As noted previously, minor a lot of time is a development and breeding ground rather than going full gun for victory. Before the wave of success from 2010 onwards 2003 was the only underage (u21) AI success of the previous decade - coached by Jim Gavin and Dec Darcy

2 Likes

Does his aul fella own a crash repair business in Ballyfermot?

anyone care to explain the relevance of this?

I think it’s a way of calling him crooked

I want to get my car fixed

Paul Murphy - Kilkenny

A top class corner back for 6/7 years there who has a very decent haul of medals. He’d be on my team of the Cody era. An absolute top class fella by all accounts also and a great club man.

10 Likes

A dinger of a nr 2.

He won an all Ireland u21 medal in 2008 (Kilkennys last at the grade) just a year out of minor and you could pick him out a mile off as a future senior.

Big game player who could be relied on to tie up his opponent and contribute offensively as his distribution was excellent.

On the wane now with a couple of years but he had some career.

Don’t know the chap but as alluded to above he’s apparently a good sort.

1 Like

Any reason why his form dipped? From around 2010 to 2015 he was the dominant corner back in the game then nosedived after that and never really even showed glimpses of returning to that level of form. Don’t recall him having much trouble with injury.

His battle with the Bonner in the drawn 2014 A/I was excellent

He was absolutely unreal in 2011/2012.

Lar in 2013 was first person to show chinks in the armour.

1 Like

Would I be out of kilter to rate Murphy ahead of Tyrrell? Tyrrell will always edge him on longevity and his haul of silverware. However I’d always take peak Murphy over peak Tyrrell. He was a much more rounded player.

I believe the arrival of Murphy got a few more years out of JJ and Tyrrell. He brought the legs to that full back line.

5 Likes

Corner back is a tough position and I’d imagine very hard to stay top of your game for such an extended period of time.

His dip in form coincided with some of the big names finishing up Tommy, JJ, Jackie, Brian Hogan et al, and the gaps he was trying to plug were getting bigger

1 Like

Wouldn’t disagree with any of that. But equally the likes of Tyrell and JJ gave Murphy a license to display his skills knowing there was serious operators covering him if something didn’t work out.