Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

No surprise really. His best day was probably the drawn final vs Mayo in 16. It was him and the own goals that kept Dublin in touch at times that day.

I wonder is Kevin Mc next to go?

1 Like

Slowly but surely the culture of humility will be eroded and Dublin will go back to being a middling team.

Time to give something back to Brigids.

:laughing:

2 Likes

Legend

How many years as a regular starter in Championship did Andrews have? 2/3 at most I’d say.

He had one really excellent year for Dublin I recall. Would have been a regular starter in any other county at the time.

Didn’t gilroy put him corner back one time ? On the gooch :man_facepalming:

Yeah, roasted. Was dropped shortly after

To learn him manners.

I think he won a Sigerson with DCU at corner back

He started in the 13, 15, 16 and 17 finals which isn’t bad going given the competition. Mayo 2015 semi final replay he was on fire

4 Likes

But he always seemed to be in and out of the team which is probably why he never got an All Star.

1 Like

Fair point. Still impressive enough all the same

Could easily be another 3 or 4 Dubs to go

It is.

He was certainly very underrated. Had he played for Mayo, Kerry, Donegal or Tyrone I’d say he’d have two or three all stars in his back pocket but probably no AI.

He would normally have been in the full forward line so would have been battling it out with the likes of B Brogan, Rock, Mannion, O’Gara, McManamon and Con for his place over his career so that’s a lot of competition.

2 Likes

Just had a look at Wiki there and Andrews only scored 0-23 in his Championship career.

That’s a very low amount really and only played 16 Championship games. :open_mouth:

I see they have the All Ireland and Leinster split out so it’s actually 31 games and 1-26 which makes a bit more sense but still fairly low.

Didn’t he feck off with a few other players to some junket/fundraising event in NYC while his club were down to play a relegation final which they subsequently lost?

I think it was a holiday but he did leave them in the lurch alright

Think he saved them in the Championship and it was a League Relegation battle game he missed?

He’s never exactly burst his hole for them either. He took from the Brogan school of club commitment.

2 Likes

I remember Brogan having some huge games for plunketts. Did he get 7 points from play in a county final v Kilmacud?

You’re the one who says you remember it mate?