Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

it’ll be grand, they generally won’t meet anyone of note until the All Ireland series

How did he win Intermediate & Senior All Irelands in the same year? No rule against it?

Wiki isn’t a trustworthy source.

Got me through college.

1 Like

I think his performance in that final is a bit over rated. He was good no doubt and this was added to with some ridiculous turnovers from which Mayo got scores.

I watched that final back in the last year. He gave away the clinching free against Connolly. He also gave away two other scoring frees. He totally misjudged a crossfield kicked ball in the second half from which Rock pointed and could have goaled.

As someone said he only came into his own by his late 20s. Old school in a way that I’d imagine he preferred defending to playing ball. A tough hardy boy and a loss for Mayo.

1 Like

He can give something back now to his beloved Clontarf

1 Like

That’s a bit condescending now. He has travelled back to Belmullet and Mayo for years. I think he was doing a bit with Clontarf in recent years before joining. I’m sure he’ll play for a few years yet with them.

3 Likes

Sorry Chris

1 Like

No short spin that. To put it in perspective, it’s over an hour’s drive from Castlebar to Belmullet alone.

1 Like

Paul Murphy was as much a reason as anyone that Kilkenny won in 2014 and 2015. Tyrell was no relation of him hurling wise.

I’m pretty sure your club has first teamers from Mayo, Limerick and Westmeath if not more from other counties.

1 Like

Barrett gave an interview last year saying as much …he was busy in work as project manager on some site and the drive to training from Dublin was a killer …getting home at all hours … sounded like torture …thought he was a very good tough defender …Dublin forwards couldn’t carry the ball past him in the second half of 2017 and he can rightly feel aggrieved with some of the calls given against him…

I read that at the time and thought it was awfully dramatic scutter.

I’d love to be playing corner back with no one on me or sweepers and all that. Would still find a way to fuck it up though.

I only really started following football around 2017 but those turnovers off some of those very good Dublin forwards were unreal .

He probably did make a few fuck ups too but that all added to the sense of occasion.

Eir Sport are showing that game again on Saturday night I think.

I’d be the opposite, I gave all my playing days as a defender albeit mostly in the half line and would always have rathered a direct opponent to scrap it out with and let the best man win.

During my last few years the idea of forwards drifting all over the field was coming into the equation and I hated it.

Go with him and the lads behind you in the full line are roaring at you to come back, leave him off and he can snipe a few soft points if his long range shooting is good.

Maybe for younger lads it’s easier to adapt their game to counteract this type of forward but I was too old school I guess.

An old school man marker. Mayo have had some cracking defenders recently.

It was a very nasty post, small club mentality

I generally don’t like the idea of lads moving to clubs in Dublin and continuing to play for their county but Belmullet is miles away altogether in fairness

I know a lad who moved to a club in Dublin once. He got a small fortune for it and laughed up his sleeve at them the entire time. He was back home in 2 or 3 years with a ball of cash.

1 Like

Nasty post