Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Dublin hurler Paul Ryan.

Paul was outstanding in our 2 biggest days in recent years. The 2011 league final and the 2013 Leinster Final. He also gave a MOTM performance v limerick in a qualifier in 2015 I think. A lovely striker of the ball particularly on his left side. He needed very little space to get a shot off and he was a v good freetaker too. His Achilles heel was inability to win his own ball. As a consequence when really tightly marked he often struggled to influence games. Best of luck to him anyway. He strikes me as a lad who will keep playing club as long as he can.

4 Likes

He put everything over against us in Thurles in 2015, from every angle and distance.

I think he also scored a pile against the same opponents at the same venue in the 1B final in 2013 also!

A fine player. That generation of Dublin players will die wondering about the Ryan O’Dwyer sending off against Cork.

10 Likes

…and not go with the hand first… and miss the important frees…and a marked reluctance to turn and take his man on…and going on to his left 99% of the time…

Wish him well though - a nice guy by all accounts.

A little harsh. He had way more good days than bad days on the frees. The rest is fair comment

1 Like

That day in 2015 he just seemed to stand on the sideline and hey presto

I think he was pulled in that 2013 semi final for a double turn and Nash nailed the free . That had a massive bearing on that game .

Has he the kick of pace to do that ???

He had no real pace relative to what is needed for I/C hurling, meant he couldn’t get out in front and needed the ball to spoon fed into him. A lovely stickman and free taker but lacked that half a yard or bit of class to be a consistent threat.

3 Likes

That would have been my take as well .

Paul is an alright sort

Not just pace ,lacked the bit of pig in him or whatever you want to call it to fight for 50/50 ball…serious skills though …

1 Like

I recall @Bandage roughed him up on here once or twice with harsh comments …

You’d imagine Keaney ain’t too far behind him. Don’t think he featured in 2020.

There might be another raft of retirements now if the inter county season might not start till Autumn

I definitely did. He used to annoy me because he was one of those players that regularly played well against us but often wilted against other teams. It was as much frustration that we were shit. He’d be putting over points from the sideline or lofting those over the shoulder scores against us because he was playing freely without pressure. I felt he got a bit snatchy with shots and was a little bit shy when the exchanges were tight. High skill levels sure enough.

1 Like

I think it’s a very underestimated skill that separates the great players from great talents -the ability to play yourself into a game when it’s not going for you …

2 Likes

Dublin played him out in the half forward line and just fed him loose ball. Limerick were bet by the time they decided to man mark him. I doubt the current Limerick half backline would be as accommodating.

Keaney struggled with injury this year but did get a late run v Cork. I wouldn’t be surprised if he stayed going. A winter championship might suit him

What age is he in 2021? 39?

Yeah. 39 I think. He won an A Ireland u21 football in 2003 and I think that was his last year at 21

Harry Loughran. Only 26.

Cc @Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy

1 Like