Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

No.

He’s a gent though.

Brendan Maher and Canning gone. Probably one or two more Tipp lads.

Few Kilkenny lads will go too I’d say. Maybe even Cody.

Really is the end of a great era.

5 Likes

KK
Cillian Buckley
Richie Hogan
Joey Holden

Tipp
Seamie
( Paudie ) don’t think he will
( Noel ) don’t think he will

Wally in KK, Bonner in Tipp.

Walter Walsh and Fogarty maybe too for KK.

Kevin Moran Waterford surely.

A couple of more Galway lads like David Burke and Harte I’d say.

Hoggy might go too if they win the final.

Will surely play on next year for the record?

Hoggie won’t be going anywhere I’d imagine.

Poor aul Bonnar, overlooked him.

What was the story with Cillian Buckley? I’d he still carrying a injury? His form fell off a cliff over past 3 seasons.

Ah he had three years of it in fairness

1 Like

Buckley had huge issue with groin. Lost all power/speed after the op. He was a beast at 22/23. No longer the force of old.

Only 29. He might hold for another year yet.

2 Likes

Probably the right time for B Maher. Thought he was fairly anonymous in games this year which would be unusual for him.

Legs looked gone tbh.
I wouldn’t have started him v Waterford. Thought he might have offered something off bench for last 20.

Might want to check the spelling on some of his entries

Its not fair to make fun of a mans lisp.

Maher was a real no frills hurler. Would do his job to the best of his ability, no Hollywood shots, touches or passes. A real solid man I’d say.

Really struggled for form after the ankle break and was I always felt he was far more suited to wing back than midfield where games could often pass him by somewhat or his impact would go unnoticed.

I’d say he’s only about 29 is he? Minor in 2010 I think.

It’s alarming how poor he has been in games when introduced over the last two seasons

Only 29 but is there anything really in it for him now?

Broke onto a great team in 2012 with all those very good lads like Shefflin, Fennelly and Tommy Walsh etc and won his All Ireland’s but is there anything to be gained from sticking around putting the body through the wringer when there isn’t much prospect of getting his place back or winning another All Ireland?

1 Like

Another thing about Brendan Maher was his discipline.

Don’t ever remember him getting in trouble or pulling a bad stroke in all the years he played.

3 Likes

He’d be a great role model for the likes of a Peter Casey or Conor Gleeson

2 Likes