Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Brendan Maher was a great bit of stuff. That’ll be the start of it you’d imagine.

https://ie.linkedin.com/in/brendan-maher-56b8a3116

Teneo must be the biggest employer in Tipperary at this stage.

Brendan will get some amount of notifications about whos been viewing his linkedin this week.

1 Like

He was. Missed a good bit of his Tipp career with injuries. The bad injury on his ankle in 2011/12 set him back a bit. A hugely versatile player. Could be a playmaker or man marker. His defining moments for me where on the club run with Borris.

4 Likes

That point with half a hurley was box office.

Owes us nothing. A brilliant servant. Think he knew his time was up.

1 Like

God speed

Some amount of hurling done. By god he was something special early doors, could do it all and quieten the greats of his era too.

Last two seasons of IC weren’t what he expected of himself but the Co Title & Munster Club must make up for it.

Owes Tipperary hurling nothing and a top top bloke off the field too.

4 Likes

He was absolutely outstanding in 2010. To me, he always as HOTY that year. We missed him in 2011 (I know he came on in first half of final but too late). When I walked out of Thurles in 2018, less than 15-20 minutes after he was brought off the pitch, I was unsure would he play again for the county so was delighted that he was back to his best in 2019.

A great man to win a free too :wink:

2 Likes

The point vs Ballygunner in the Munster final was better.

Iconic

He never really became what he looked like he was going to become after breaking his ankle in 2011 IMO. Still a fantastic player and some of his performances for Borris-Ileigh in recent years have been outstanding

1 Like

Brendan Maher Retirement Announcement:

“ After 13 years playing with Tipperary, I have decided that now is the right time to announce my retirement from inter-county hurling. It was a huge honour and privilege for me to wear the Tipperary jersey and I am very grateful to have played with so many top-class players and to have enjoyed many successes with them. The inter-county game requires very significant commitment, and I am happy that I can look back on my career with no regrets having given everything that I could during my time with Tipperary.

Firstly, I want to thank the Tipperary players sincerely, I have made lifelong friendships with so many of them. I am also very grateful to the managers and backroom teams who gave me so much support and guidance.

As a player, I always received immense support from the Tipperary County Board, Tipperary Supporters Club and Associations, Tipperary team sponsors and the GPA. I want to thank all of them. Thanks also to the Tipperary supporters who I have always been so proud to represent.

To my club, Borris-Ileigh, where it all began, a huge thank you. I look forward to what the next few years will bring as we continue our journey. My friends have also been hugely supportive of me and helped me in so many ways over the course of my career, for which I am very grateful.

My parents, Johnny and Anne, have done everything they possibly could to support and encourage me and there are no words to describe my gratitude to them. I have always looked up to my three older brothers, Sean, Declan, and Martin, to whom I am very grateful for instilling such self-belief and will to win in me. My nieces, nephews and extended family have always been very loyal supporters and I want to say thanks to all of them.

I am very lucky to have had such constant support and encouragement from my fiancée, Aoife. She has helped me get through the toughest of times and being able to share so many wonderful moments with her has made it all extra special.

Finally, I wish Tipperary all the very best for 2022 and beyond. I have no doubt that the players and management will do everything in their power to bring more success to the county in the years ahead.”

1 Like

Serious hurler.

I think while thats a fair opinion to hold, I’d argue the amount of hurling & ability to play any position probably goes against him as regards saying he was one of the modern greats as a wing back for example.

At times in his career he was full back, anywhere in the half back line, midfield & the half forward line.
Personally I hated seeing him in the half forward line as his best hurling was in defence always.

I think many overlook his actual importance at times and time will be very kind to him as what follows may not live up to what he served up in Blue & Gold.

1 Like

Ah he was the ultimate team player. In 2019 he was the designated man marker nullifying TJ, Tony Kelly, Chin and Gillane (Despite the hammering). His versatility as you’ve alluded to would cost him being on a team of the decade.

Mick Ryan whipping the captaincy off him after 2016 was a bad call.

Bringing Borrisileigh to Croke Park was an unreal achievement.

Yeah, his man marking ability was serious.

He was never a sweeper type player though. The yard of pace was gone and asking him to play that role was futile.

I’m sure there’ll be more. Hopefully we can get Cahill and Bevans back from Blahland to rebuild.

Met one Cahills backroom team about 6/7 weeks back. They maintained they were with Waterford for the time being and had no interest in returning to Tipp in the short term.

KOS ?