Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Who is the last decent footballer Galway got from the border area? You have to go back to the Donnellans I reckon. Nothing from Williamston, Glenamaddy, Milltown, Caherlistrane, Headford or Clonbur at all, and just the keeper from Dunmore. Mayo seem to have had plenty from their side in comparison.

Would Shane Walsh not qualify?

1 Like

Paddy Cunningham

Diarmuid Blake, Milltown. Cormac Bane, Caherlistrane. Declan Kyne, Clonbur. All were decent intercounty players but no more than that. Doesn’t help that the border clubs have not been great in general over the past 20 years although Dunmore seem to be making progress at underage now. So some hope for them in the near future. I suppose Mayo got Boyle from Davitts and even recently Oisin Mullin from Kilmaine and Tommy Conroy from The Neale. All close to the border. I’m probably missing a few. I guess you could go back to the Mortimers in Shrule/Glencorrib.

1 Like

I wouldn’t consider K/C a border club, they would be too far south and Dunmore and Glenamaddy would be north of them.

Not an inspiring list at all. I had assumed it was to do with falling numbers but they seem to be getting lads the other side of the border fairly regularly. Stephen Coen from Hollymount, Varley from Garrymore, Harrison from Aghamore to add to your list as well. Dunmore thriving at underage is great to see.

Better hurler or footballer ?

Aghamore is a long way up from the Galway border.

1 Like

? He won an AI football medal in 2010, with a great performance in the final. A solid servant to Cork hurling and football throughout his career. Always underrated I felt.

4 Likes

He danced a lot of dances over the years.

1 Like

He was Donal ogs ball alley partner at one stage. That’s not a euphemism

I was wondering why he spoke like Kermit the Frog :frog:

A good summation.

He was outstanding in one (maybe both) of those two Munster finals against Clare in 2017 & 2018.

He was very limited as a hurler but he was a great man to draw his opponent into a battle. He had Gillane driven demented in 2019 when all Gillane needed to do was take him for a tour. Instead he stayed inside pulling and dragging with him.
But there’s a bit of that in Gillane. You need it too.

His legs were long gone before this year. But he did his job very well in his prime. But I was always happy to see his name in recent years. He was vulnerable.

He was a decent footballer as well. The same edge. As I said you need lads like that.

1 Like

His hurling debut vs Tipp in 2009 was something else.

More or less the end of Micheal Webster’s inter county career.

Webster. Had forgotten about him. Did he do untold one day in a championship game? Scored 3 goals or something

He sent Lohan and Davy Fitz home with tea in their mugs one day in Limerick.

that was in PUC wasnt it

He was close to man of the match that day, may even have got it

I think Cork regretted not starting him in all ireland final they lost to Kerry, brought him on early as a sub, he hadnt been with them most of the championship as he was hurling.

I thought he was a better footballer than hurler

He did get MOTM even though Tipp beat them. It was in Thurles.