Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

He was electric around 2013. That opening 35 minutes v the dubs was incredible.

A real swagger to that Kerry performance with cooper pulling the strings.

Another one that got away from Kerry against that great Dublin team.

I’m fairly sure maybe an older poster knows but his dad suffered a lot of similar injuries too.

1 Like

He had a lovely little tradition of sort of winking at the camera when he’d pick up a MOTM award or an All Star.

Brilliant player.

The semi in 2013 was phenomenal, he was brilliant for them two seasons. Cruelly savaged by injuries after that

He gave an absolute masterclass against Cork in a Munster final in the old Pairc ui Chaoimh. Roasted Cadogan and Shields, kicked seven or eight points from play that day.

Great player, the injuries really crucified him though.

1 Like

Poor James was badly hampered by injuries.

He had an awful time with injuries.

Great forward … really came alive when he got the ball … never understood the thinking of fitzmaurice playing him out on wing in final v Donegal … and thank fcuk he wasn’t on the bench in the drawn final v Dublin … even half fit he would have done damage against 14 man dubs…

Just off the phone with Lucas Digne. Told me James O’Donoghue was ruined by injury. Didn’t mention any falling out with Rafa :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

His battle with Keith Higgins in the 2014 semi final replay was the best 1 vs 1 battle I ever saw. Both hall of famers at the peak of their powers. Either one of them would have been a worthy motm.

7 Likes

You love telling that story :grinning:

I think James O’Donoghue would have been the best forward of the past ten years if he hadn’t been plagued with injuries

An absolute wizard

1 Like

It’s at times like this you really miss @Fulvio_From_Aughnacloy

1 Like

I’m sure he’d be on to tell us some Ulster footballer called Naoiseán McAlooby or something was ten times the footballer O’Donoghue was but the free state media wouldn’t admit it.

14 Likes

He had a rotten run with niggles & injuries

Nordíe McShoulderchip

2 Likes

Fulvio was a massive fan of JOD.

Didn’t he rate James O’ Donoghue higher than Gooch Cooper?

Yep

:joy:

1 Like