Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Six all stars. All deserved.

1 Like

Great player for Tipp. A warrior!

1 Like

He was a hard man on the field and there was nothing dirty in the way he hurled.

They just don’t make them like him anymore.

He was granite.

1 Like

He lost the head in one game I’d say in all his years with Tipp.

A great man under the high ball. An inspiring figure, not afraid to do what was necessary to win a free for tipp, and showed a growth mindset when he never went near full back again after big Jonny Glynn destroyed him in Thurles.

Was he not full back last year?

4 Likes

Paidi Maher was a real throwback old school hurler. Tough, uncompromising, brilliant in the air and could raid forward and pick off a score. His positional sense was outstanding. He had an aura about him and was an absolute colossus at times in games. Many turning points in games were preceded with him catching a ball amongst a forest of hurleys. He leaves the game with many honours but the nhonour of playing alongside your brother is a truly great one and the honour that brings to the family and his club. While he was in the winter of his intercounty career if you look around the county you can still see Eoin Kelly, Declan Fanning, Paul Curran and quite a few more beavering away still at a high level. He has been robbed of the ability to enjoy a club career which is something many look forward to when they do retire from the intercounty scene and where they may get even more enjoyment from the game as they try to make up for lost time on training field. He will be a huge loss to Tipperary. A once in a lifetime player.

7 Likes

Realised it was safe after Jonny Glynn packed it in

Hard to believe he’s only 7 County Medals.

If you’d said when Sars cantered home in 2017, he’d never win another, you’d have been laughed out of town.

1 Like

Some score this was

3 Likes

On another note he wasn’t that quick but he was never really exposed for a lack of pace. Just read the game so well.

Says it all when you have LK, GY and KK posters coming in here acclaiming him.

4 Likes

I was at a league game in 16 or 17 where Galway played Tipp in Limerick. Galway were edging ahead in the second half and a load of Tipp savages were roaring that Callanan was too cowardly to send the ball down Paudie’s wing on the puckouts :joy:

No National League Medal is a pity.

Must have lost about 6 finals I’d say.

Did he ever win Hurler of the Year?

No

Four I’d say?

The true measure of the man was how he was a lightning rod for opposition fans, they hated him because they couldnt be bateing him as the saying goes. He’d get an awful sneering on here, but you knew it was out of sheer envy. A warrior. Hopefully the injury won’t affect his quality of life going forward. I imagine we’ll see him on a sideline sooner rather than later.

12 Likes

09,13,14,17,18 I think

Outstanding player.
Obviously huge loss to Tipp

Assume Marty Morrissey is on his way to Tipp