Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

He was talking about golden generation and all time greats and going on about how the likes of him will never be seen again. Perspective is relevant. Ye tipp lads are very touchy.

I would say his finest hour was when he went down to Kilmallock and beat them on his own in 2012. Best individual display I have ever seen from a centre back.

He gave some display on a beaten team in Walsh Park in 2017 too against Ballygunner.

I’d encourage anyone to watch those games back on YouTube.

2 Likes

I remember that game in kilmallock. It was like he was on a slide rule over and across the half back line intercepting every ball no matter what direction it came from, it was a class display.

2 Likes

Are durlas og and thurles sarsfields two different clubs or what’s the set up ?

One of the all time great performances in a club game.

Even the natives that day were in awe for a finish.

I don’t think you do rc he was moved out of it mid game after Glynn took him for two goals and countless catches. Barry was moved in there to cover and so began his full back career.

Durlas Og were originally set up to cater for when there was a few different adult clubs in Thurles but are now essentially just a feeder club to Sars. Thurles Gaels now have their own underage set up as well but Durlas Og are operating at a different level altogether. Won all the A county finals from u13 to u17 last year and then Sars won the u19

1 Like

Aisake gave him loads of trouble in the league match in PUC in 2010, so much that the Cork management took Aisake off early. He did the same in the Munster Championship a few weeks later, so Paul Curran was moved to full back for the qualifiers and Paudie was redeployed to the half back line. They tried him full back again in 2014 as Curran didn’t make the team. Johnny Glynn did wreck on him in the first 20 mins in that qualifier in Thurles, they switched him out to the half back line bringing Barry to full back.

1 Like

So they are actually a seperate club? Different jerseys clubhouse etc? Why would sars just not have had their own underage when durlas were set up? It’s an unusual one it’s almost like the Dublin schoolboys soccer set up. Is there another underage only club in the country?

1 Like

A lot of his Thurles colleagues owe him an apology for not doing more to help him over the years.

5 Likes

Yes fully separate club, different colours, pitch, clubhouse, etc.

Not sure of the history of it but at this point there would be no reason for Sars to create a juvenile club. They are both incredibly successful and lose nobody from Durlas Og when they get to adult level

1 Like

Was he the last of the great high fielders? There won’t be as many contested puck outs anytime soon with the move towards possession based

Didn’t Paudie start at 11 the next day out v Offaly in 2010?

1 Like

They played Wexford next, Declan Fanning started full back (game where he got the bad ear injury.
Bonnar Maher and Gearoid Ryan were started for the 1st time.
Paudie was wing back

Ahem, sulkies

2 Likes

Paudie played CF once for Tipp @Big_Dan_Campbell . A challenge match v Waterford after the Cork debacle in 2010. It might have been before the Wexford game even. Lads thought Sheedy had lost the plot but apparently it was part of an O’Shea masterplan to try and figure out how to nullify Brick Walsh. He didn’t plan on showing all his cards. Come the All Ireland semi, they sprung Noel McGrath on him, and he gave a Tour de France.

1 Like

Where to begin with this :man_facepalming:t2:

10 Likes