Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Any player in the modern era who sacrifices what these lads do from a personal perspective is a great player. I wish him well.

1 Like

He’ll be forgotten about in a couple of seasons.

Plenty of Limerick posters signed into this thread today to comment on the fact that Pádraig Maher was a genuine great of the game. A true Hall of Famer, as you like to say. Plenty of respect was shown for his career. He was an absolutely brilliant player.

You should show a little more respect for the current crop of genuine Hall of Famers and just try and enjoy them while they are around. Just because they’re all wearing Limerick jerseys it shouldn’t spoil it for you. The names of Finn, Nash, Hannon, Hayes, Lynch, Hegarty…these names will be spoken about in 100 years time. Immortals. Enjoy them while you can mate. Take a trip down to Wexford on Sunday to see them.

8 Likes

Well Yes But Actually No GIF by walter_

Who do you disagree about? Which one isn’t a Hall of Famer in waiting?

Flanagan is getting there too. He had his best year for Limerick so far in 2021.

1 Like

What’s the need for Limerick posters to compare their current crop to Paudie Maher.

Very needy.

Let’s the enjoy today’s players and compare the players of the past.

9 Likes

Is there suggestions of another Tipp retiree or other news to come this week?

Callanan is crocked too.

Who of the great Kilkenny team will be remembered in twenty years time?

Tommy Walsh, Jj Delaney, tj Reid(he was barely on it) and shefflin.

I guess they’d a huge amount of turn over.

By god he isn’t. He looks as fit a fiddle

Oh you didn’t hear then.

Thank you for agreeing with me. I think the disrespect shown to current and future Hall of Famers here today has been a sad turn of events

1 Like

Ah come off it.

Tommy, JJ and Henry will overshadow the rest. 3 greats.

But those who will remember will know that Eoin Larkin was up there too, but I think he won’t get the same recognition in the future as the shadows of Tommy, JJ and Henry will loom very large.

Similar to likes of Dick Stokes, Paddy Clohessy and Jackie Power, all were supposed to have been outstanding hurlers but Mackey’s shadow looms large

Cian Lynch has a good chance of being remembered as the best ever in the modern era.

Paudie Maher was cleaning out Shefflin as a 20 year old in his first All Ireland Final in 2009. His standards rarely dropped from that level.

TJ Reid only established himself as a Kilkenny starter in his 8th season when he was 26, pushing 27 in 2014.

3 Likes

Tj Reid rightly or wrongly will be remembered for a very long time.

It’s different nowadays. The public wouldn’t know many players like they used to as well.

I’d say in 20-30 years declan hannon, Cian lynch and Kyle Hayes will be remembered. Very distinct styles. Hard to know really.

I’d name more of the Armagh side from 02 and the Tyrone side off 05 than I would of the current team.

The majority of that Dublin team will long forgotten.

They’ll speak about Cian Lynch for a thousand years.

By the time he is finished he’ll be regarded as THE Greatest of them all…

Declan Hannon :roll_eyes:

3 Likes