Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

A Loughnane/Babs/Tom Ryan segment would be great. Roll them out for the big days.

8 Likes

I punched the air after reading that. That would be gold, all talking at the same time.

2 Likes

I doubt Babs Keating would go anywhere near a Wooly interview again after the utter disrespect the man was shown previously. That was fucking despicable carry on and it shouldn’t be forgotten about

6 Likes

He doesn’t have the inside line anymore

None of those cunts are funny

Cheddar would be a great man for the office jargon thread

Did Woolberto ever even apologise?

Babs made a career of being an ignorant cunt so my heart really bleeds for him.

2 Likes

Babs is a legend who stands proudly in the GAA Hall of Fame.

Woolie set out to humiliate him for a few laughs for his Joe.ie audience. It shouldn’t be forgotten.

What happened there?

Babs would be well thought of outside of Tipp in general I’d say (maybe not in Offaly)

It was fucking disgraceful.

2 Likes

Not at all, cunt thought it was hilarious. They made a pure fool out of the man

1 Like

Far as I know it was on this show. He had Babs on. Then after Babs left the stage he had a few Tipp players on and he basically was trying to draw the Tipp lads to take the piss out of Babs

Dont like that Laois langer but would definately pay him money if Loughnane was anyway regular.

I don’t think Redser needed a pile of drawing out tbh.

@peddlerscross iconic

Liam Sheedy

Paudie Maher didn’t know how to reverse out of anything

Talk about Rabbit Hill, Paudie Maher took things to new heights in the physical stakes.

He was still the fittest man in my panel in 2021. When you did the aerobic testing, it was always himself and Bonner at the front. If that bleeper was going, Paudie couldn’t not take it on. He didn’t know how to reverse out of anything. It was how he was programmed, how he was built.

Tipperary manager Liam Sheedy celebrates after the 2019 All-Ireland final with Padraic Maher. Picture: INPHO/Tommy Dickson

Tipperary manager Liam Sheedy celebrates after the 2019 All-Ireland final with Padraic Maher. Picture: INPHO/Tommy Dickson

Paudie’s physical condition meant he had years left in him. The legs were still strong and so was the mind. He was an example to all the guys in how to apply yourself and mind yourself. His preparation to play for Thurles and Tipp was exemplary.

The only reason he finds himself having to retire is probably down to the number of times he put his body on the line, which is really unfortunate.

I first came across Paudie in 2006 when we won the minor All-Ireland. Galway going for three in a row, Joe Canning waiting at full-forward in the final. I can still picture Paudie inside in the dressing room beforehand, cool as a breeze.

“Are you alright there, Paudie?” “Yeah, grand.” He just went out, played with instinct, had a great game. From that afternoon, he never really took a step back.

He announced himself on the big stage in the league final of 2009, when he had that immense game at centre-back against Henry Shefflin. Just 20, taking on one of the greatest players on one of the greatest teams, and besting him that day.

At wing-back in 2010 when we won the All-Ireland he just hoovered up everything. His contribution in those early years when we were trying to find our feet was immense. In the final, his ‘not for turning’ attitude rippled through the team.

There are certain qualities the supporters look for in a Tipp hurler and Paudie had everything. Catching ball out of the sky, breaking tackles, meeting players shoulder to shoulder, scoring points. They loved him. If there is such a thing as the Tipperary way, he embodied it.

A big Paudie moment was always worth that little bit more. Drew energy from the crowd and the rest of the lads. Because he was loved inside and outside the camp, because he had that iconic presence.

When I came back in 2019, he was awesome as ever and richly deserved his sixth All-Star. Our first big game below in Cork, he was outstanding, ran the show. Wexford in the semi-final, incredible.

Remember, he switched wings in the All-Ireland final, went over on Walter. First puckout, plucked it out of the sky, broke the tackle, offloaded, and within seconds Niall O’Meara had the ball in the net. Another massive moment by Paudie was the transformation of that game, when we were sucking for air.

Later on, when Walter had that goal chance… no way, not happening. Body on the line again. Drove up the field, offloads, ball over the bar. Whatever life was left in Kilkenny was extinguished.

He achieved it all. He was on the All-Star team of the last 50 years and rightly so. He’ll be missed far beyond Tipp, he was so admired for his qualities. He was an ambassador for the game. He certainly unlocked the warriors’ code.

As a manager and coach, he was a dream. Never caused you a problem. The big thing about Paudie Maher is he was really coachable and very accountable. Went about his business. Showed up early, left late. Heart on his sleeve every day. Left nothing to chance. Incredible around the group. Would do anything for the team.

And he’s a great person too. A great friend, always kind and generous to my family. A rock-solid guy. I’m really sad for him because it’s a tough tough way to finish. But he goes, not just as one of the Tipp greats, but as one of hurling’s greats.

11 Likes

Not a bad article but i hate the way Sheedy refers to the Tipp squad as ‘my panel’.

He didn’t own Tipperary hurling.

Looks like Cadogan will have a column in the Examiner as well this year.

How will the crayons look in print?

3 Likes