Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Very fair and I’d agree with you ref his Senior IC performances

Could you not say the same about most of that 2013 team? Not many performed to that level consistently subsequently.

You could, there are about 5 of the group who won multiple 21s who went on to become standout or consistent championship hurlers after leaving the 21s grade. Galvin’s importance to Clare has lessened year on year since his high point in 2013. Galvin has probably started 20 championship matches in the last five year and had probably been subbed off in close to 15 of them be it for lack of legs or lack of impact

I see ye getting out of Munster this year. Lohan is doing some very good work.

There isn’t much between the four teams vying for second and third. We have too many key lads missing most of the league with injury meaning our margin for error is small with the short run in to championship

We badly need someone like Cian Galvin to come out of nowhere and nail down a half back slot. Lot of wishful thinking involved

I think ye get the third spot. Ourselves and Cork will have the summer off.

Limerick Waterford and Cork for me, latter an outside bet for AI

2 Likes

I’ve Cork bottom of Munster.

Limerick
Waterford
Clare
Ourselves
Cork

Cork an outside bet for the AI??

Only if someone else removes Limerick.

Lim,Wt and Ck to get out of Munster.

Cork at 2, that’s fair enough, Limerick out on their own by a mile but they can obviously be caught on a given day

No chance

1 Like

Would it not be a very bad sign for Cork that their team named for this Sunday shows absolutely no learnings from last year’s All Ireland Final. Tim Mahony at 5 and Coleman at 6…

1 Like

Their young lads aren’t up to it.

Not sure, Clare looked absolutely clueless on the ball last weekend.

Colm Begley and John O’Loughlin.

Two good ones.

John o had a great run. Did he ever do much hurling after UCD?

1 Like

Not really. Played with Brigid’s strongly while there, and is hurling Senior now with Rosenallis, but it was big ball only from a county pov. He was some man to catch ball at Minor and U21. We’d have gotten a lot more out of Willie Hyland had we Johnno’s paw on that half forward line.

A relation of mine was the same year as John o with a similar background and social circles. He always seemed a top man who was pulled from pillar to post due to his talent. An absolute gent. He was blackguarded at one point I believe and had his jaw broken I think?

You got it in one. He had an insane amount of teams pulling on him before he finally got out of underage. A thorough gent. I must admit I’m drawing a blank on the broken jaw bit though.

He was centre back on the Laois side that lost the All Ireland U21 football to Cork while still 16 or 17 at best iirc.