Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

Yeah but Darren Daly played in a tougher era than Clifford’s asterisk fest so thered be a question mark about Clifford’s one…

1 Like

Don’t think anyone has questioned his footballing ability … it’s just high level sport is all
About the winners and what it takes to get over the line … speaking of chips on shoulder I note there’s very little reference to his off the ball antics … I’d have only Johnny Small and
maybe Cooper ahead of him in that regard …

I never did either but the father who was a very good judge did and he said he was one of the best ever. He maintains that Tommy was blackguarded by Kerry in the 1937 All Ireland semi final.

You fucking rogue :rofl:

The yerras won’t like that.

1 Like

As David Hickey always said, the Mayo lads were always great for their MOTM awards and POTY gongs.

1 Like

Ah would you stop. A number of the great Dublin team’s wins are squarely owed to refs and that’s the cause of the insecurity. Posters justifiably lauding Keegan as an all time great on the announcement of his retirement and all de dubs can come up with is what about McCarthy or some other faint praise. It’s an extremely odd response. I’d hazard a guess it’s prompted by that same insecurity and the knowledge that even without any of those all Ireland medals Keegan is still great than the likes of Dermo, McCarthy etc. You’d think that with all of the success de dubs would be bigger than that by now, but apparently not.

1 Like

Dermo was a shaper

This was a classic in the genre too. His timing of runs was an art form. The finish was sensational too. Reaction from the crowd was something else.

4 Likes

Right it’s insecurities to something that nobody here was directly involved in …very bizarre train of thought …you hate Dublin , it completely blinkers you … it’s fascinating to watch how youve filtered out so much praise ‘de dubs’ have given Keegan …

1 Like

Outstanding.

That second goal. One of my all time favorite non Galway goals.

3 Likes

the weshties are circling the wagons here

The Dublin supporters here have commented more about Lee Keegan in the 2 hours since he announced his retirement than they have about Johnny Cooper in the 10 or so days since he announced his.

5 Likes

Second goal was one of the great all Ireland final goals in Croke park… you could see from the stands he was angling for that run on a few occasions … the finish was sublime …

3 Likes

That’s probably because they accepted the good and bad of him…

Yeah the video just cuts out for the down the line replay of it. Which is a pity as it really does it justice and skill level involved. Cracking goal. He got another beauty too against Dublin in which he beat a few defenders and let the ball bounce and outside of the right boot volleyed it into the top corner. Any person who is into any form of sport could appreciate those goals. Mayo were toiling badly against Kildare last year and he came up the field and put one over on the outside of his weaker foot. I remember thinking at the time it was an outrageous score and in context of the game was a big turning point. He scored some wonderful points too. He has some highlight reel.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Theres a part of you that would always be sad when generational talent like Keegan retires. A large part of it is a reluctant acceptance of the passing of time and how it catches up with everyone but fellas like Keegan is why you watch the sport in the first place. They can transform mundane into extraordinary and rise above any system of play that is designed to neutralise or stifle.

20 Likes

It’s more the end of an era of that type of footballer …I don’t think they will be many more finals like Mayo v Dublin , especially 2017 when teams just go at eachother hammer and thongs where the likes of Keegan could excel …it’s all too calculated now. The mark just adds to that …

3 Likes

In the last two years I have been lucky enough to be in attendance at Joe Canning’s last game for Galway, Paudie Maher’s last ever game for Thurles, Brian Cody’s last game with Kilkenny and Lee Keegan’s last game for Mayo.

3 Likes