Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

To be fair he was habitually first on the scene to such flashpoints…strutting in with shoulders back and chest out - like a gicknah chasing his hole in Connolly Station.

2 Likes

It genuinely does.

It was the Steve Davis v Dennis Taylor 1985 of All-Ireland football finals, with Davis cutting the black in to win.

It somehow still feels wrong that Dublin won that final.

But Jesus. The anticipation. The build up. The game. The quality. The drama. The individual performances. The moments. The characters. The rivalry. The setting. The September air.

The ultimate.

3 Likes

Dermo in the muscle top in the warm up.

A team going for 3 in a row vs a team looking to end a long famine. A rematch from previous year.

A full Croke Park in the late September hazy sunshine (very important)

2 brilliant goals.

2 Sendings off.

The Prodigal Son coming in at half time to rescue the situation.

Cillian O’Connor off the post.

A GPS being fucked at Dean Rock scoring the winning free.

The pure shithousery of the Dubs on the last kick out from Clarke.

The Dubs holding onto the ball for a full 2 minutes at the end to see it out.

Jim Gavin’s face at the end.

I have left out loads there too.

5 Likes

No idea what a gicknah is but like given anyway.

2 Likes

You could make a whole advent calendar of moments that would be the centre of the collage of the Mayo 2012-21 tragedy.

Kevin Keane going over to mark Michael Murphy.
Rob Hennelly coming for a ball he was never going to get and Bernard Brogan nudging it over him.
Denis Bastick waltzing through the centre and passing to Brogan for his second goal in that final.
James Horan standing on the sideline paralysed as Dublin proceeded with 13 fit players.
Cillian O’Connor taking a point when Mayo needed a goal.
Lee Keegan kicking out and getting sent off.
Kieran Donaghy leaping unopposed and passing to James O’Donogue for a goal when Mayo had the drawn 2014 semi-final in their pocket.
Aidan O’Shea and Cillian O’Connor crashing into each other.
Giving away two penalties to James O’Donoghue.
Hennelly’s last gasp kick to win that dropped just under the crossbar.
Kevin McLoughlin taking a point when he needed to rattle the net.
The oul’ fella running onto the pitch in Limerick.
Mayo standing off at the end of the drawn 2015 semi-final against Dublin when they had a golden chance to put their foot on the throat of a Dublin team who were paralysed against the ropes.
Seamus O’Shea putting his hand in Jonny Cooper’s face and getting a black card.
Lee Keegan dropping an easy point attempt short.
Rob Hennelly putting his kickouts over the sideline and Mayo collapsing defensively.
Holmes and Connelly being ousted.
The two own goals in the drawn 2016 final.
Rochford dropping Clarke and picking Hennelly for the replay.
Hennelly dropping the ball and giving away a penalty.
Cillian O’Connor kicking it up in the air and as wide as a fucking gate.
Letting Con O’Callaghan waltz through after 80 seconds to score a goal.
Vaughan.
Cillian O’Connor hitting the post.
Keegan’s GPS-gate.
Costello rugby tackling David Clarke.
Tom Parsons’ knee buckling the wrong way.
Newbridge or Nowhere.
Letting James McCarthy waltz through after 10 seconds in the Covid final for Dean Rock to palm in at the back post for the prototype Dublin goal.
The missed penalty against Tyrone. The 20 minute period of headless chicken shit Mayo played afterwards.

8 Likes

A high ball in bet them v Donegal 2012 , Dublin 2013 and their last Final appearance v Tyrone…

1 Like

Its quite unbelievable really that in spite of all these tragic moments over the years, there is very little sympathy for them nationally for continuously fucking it up.

Dublin argot for a feral/street pigeon.

1 Like

You were going great there for a while before letting parochialism come on as a blood sub….

You do the dropping

Clarke - Beggan

K. Mortimer - Christie - K. Higgins - Walshe - Wylie - Rodgers - McKaigue - Mallon

Keegan - Lockhart - G. Ryan - T. Kelly - Boyle - Cassidy - R. McHugh

Whelo - Earley - Parsons - Brennan - McHale - S. Ryan - McManus - Conroy - Galvin - McKiernan - McCabe

Coulter - Doyle - Kavanagh - McLoughlin - McDonald

Meehan - Moran - McManus - Muldoon - Bradley - C. O’Connor - Corkery - D. Dolan - Forde - J. Clarke - Browne - Quinlivan - Comer - R. O’Neill

1 Like

And 2014 against Kerry.

1 Like

There’s only so many times you can be Jimmy White before you turn into that delinquent horse in the modern pentathlon that dropped the leader to last place, and people get pissed off with you.

It’s taken the Buffalo Bills 30 years before they can play at being the Buffalo Bills again.

Aaron Kernan for half back there.

Good player but I’d have him running behind Karl O’Connell and Ciaran O’Sullivan in a list of players not to make my list.

I’d love it if Kev was still on the forum, he’d go nuts at me omitting O’Sullivan and would claim he was better than Keegan.

“You haven’t a clue, fella.”

3 Likes

I found it amusing it was Cassidy they picked up on :joy::joy::joy:

1 Like

Joe Higgins - Beano - Ross?

You were lucky to get Tom Kelly on the list.

It’s a pity. I thought he’d stay on for one more year but with the departure of Oisin Mullen it probably looked like another season of heartache in store for Mayo. He had that dog in him too. Wasn’t afraid to get involved in confrontations but without doing something stupid like that utter eejit Donie Vaughan. I could never understand Jimmy Sloyan lauding Vaughan.

I’d have gone Joe personally but point taken

You value a gobshite like Jimmy Sloyan?