Retiring GAA Stars tribute thread - May cause brain/neck damage

I agree with Jimmy. Vaughan was a canny and versatile footballer who could fill in from any line from full back to midfield and do a good job. He could score.

A good servant to Mayo who sadly for him will be defined by one rush of blood to the head.

1 Like

Not a good servant to his club however

1 Like

He was a prolific enough scorer for a back in the first half of the 2010’s alright. Picked off 0-3 against Kerry in 2011 from centre-back. They had that final won in 2017 if he just kept his head though. He just couldn’t resist decking John Small.

I wouldn’t hold that against any man

2 Likes

Vaughan was a fantastic player,a great man around the middle of the field,strong and fast and who could finish off a move.A pity he fucked up against Dublin but the ref bottled it and sent him off when he shouldn’t have.Some man to sell a pair of shoes.

1 Like

A stylish footballer no doubt but is he really one of the GOAT’s? Very good between 2011-2016 but I personally always felt like I’d select Bernard Brogan ahead of him if I was the manager. More guaranteed scores which I love.

I could never remember him making an indelible mark on any final bar the 2016 final replay where he scored a penalty and went rummaging through some match reports there. He didn’t even score in the 2011 and 2015 final victories. I’d have him in the same category as another slightly overrated forward like Conor McManus. Very good but not GOAT status.

Good on his day but behind both Brogans, Con and arguably Flynn for me.

1 Like

Who was the Laois lad who tried to deck John Small in the O’Byrne Cup last year and failed spectacularly?

Was that the incident when John got sent off?

It was yeah.

It was humiliating for the Laois chap.

Diarmuid Connolly was a footballer from the gods.

I do think he underachieved with his talent in terms of personal accolades but ability wise he was as fine as ever tried it for me.

1 Like

Evan O’ Carroll I’d say is it? He made his Laois championship debut back in 2013 against Wexford when he was a mere 17 going on 18.

Possibly.

A lovely right hook from the Ballymun Kickhams man.

Tis fair going to try remember all the times he’s been sent off. You’re a credit to your family

Ah that’s embarrassing … Laois have a history of starting fights they can’t finish…

3 Likes

A great bit of stuff on his day but he can blow hot and cold unfortunately. Doesn’t help that he’s in as bad an era for Laois football as I can recall

Dermo is to Dublin football what Francesco Totti is to Roma, Paul McStay is to Celtic, Davie Cooper is to Rangers, Sergio Ramos is to Real Madrid, Martin Palermo is to Boca Juniors, the Claw is to Munster, Mick Lyons to Meath, Tony Keady to Galway, Austin Gleeson to Waterford, Seanie Leary to Cork. The personification of a people’s idea of themselves.

His real sporting antecedents are Hristo Stoichkov, Sinisa Mihajlovic, Gheorghe Hagi, Paolo Di Canio. Always a whiff of danger there.

He was the guardian of a precious lineage of Dublinness, and what it means to be a Dub. He was the guardian of mystique, genius and publicly being a total loose cannon. In rock ‘n’ roll terms he would have been Ian Brown, before Ian Brown started going completely mental a few years ago.

In the same way Diego Maradona was so beloved not just because of his genius because he embodied the Argentine ideal of the “pibé”, the bushy haired, small street urchin, Dermo was beloved because he was the prototype of what a Dublin football hero is supposed to be - a Northsider, a Vincent’s man, he had the proper accent, he was unapologetically street smart yet never far away from losing the head, and a stylish genius who produced the goods when it mattered.

He always stuck it to Kerry when it mattered in the way that 19% of Dublin boys dream of growing up.

He is our authentic version of the “pibé”.

Berno is respected but not loved. You can’t claim to be King Of The Hill on a crisp packet and work as a chartered accountant and give it up to go into lifestyle marketing and frequent Late Late Show appearances and be loved. You can’t be unashamedly corporate and be loved.

11 Likes

The Owen to Dermot’s Fowler

1 Like

Any word of Dermo these days ? @spidey might know but last I’d heard he’d packed it in with Vincents …haven’t seen him in any of the photos from teammates weddings etc.

He’s packed it in. Stopped playing during the B champo win.

Heard a rumour he was rowing again last weekend and maybe in trouble. Hopefully just a rumour.

4 Likes