Revenue Returns, ROS, Taxation and the Self Employed

Depends what you are currently earning I suppose and what you can get PAYE. From the dicussions I have had with contractors you would want the bones of €600 + day rate to make it worth your while.

From some back of the fag fairly loose mathematics a €500 a day contractor wouldn’t be any better off that a lad earning €75k gross from a multinational once all the perks re time off, pension contributions, health insurance, bonus, training, job security etc are factored in

1 Like

There is very straightforward ways around ir35 in the UK. Any contractor of use that wanted to stay as a contractor with us were able to do so.

you stay as a contractor but under IR35, in which you have to go under an umbrella and pay PAYE and get none of the benefits of a permanent employee. Any contractor of any use will get the fuck out of the UK

If you get around ir35 , you don’t stay under the ir 35 umbrella. You continue as a contractor as you were before. It’s as straight forward as changing their contract using the same terms for each new project they do and one or two other changes to what they provide and we pay. There is two of them om my team.

The tax rules for being a contractor in UK are far more beneficial than in Ireland.

yeah I’m outisde IR35 on one gig and inside on the other

Technically, the rules are already there in Ireland, just not always enforced.

If you work for just one company, work their office working hours and aren’t actually charging by the hour; then you are an employee in reality and Revenue could go to that to company and raise PAYE assessments on them.

Is today the deadline for submitting the self assessment and what’s the repercussions for missing it?

Next Wednesday, 17th.

Automatic 5% surcharge to the liability if you file late, increases to 10% after 2 months. Potential interest exposure on top of that (that part is less likely if you file relatively soon after).

Ah good, thanks. Been on my to do list for a good while.

… and you will be much more likely to be audited.

They gave me an estimate something in ball park you’d expect to be given to JP. I self accessed at the lowest band and paid less the 100. Do they actually go to the trouble of checking these values?

I’d say they might come at the lads who dropped down a few bands at some stage alright

You’d probably be wiser drop a band a year…

On the other hand, I had to put in my post code, so there’s probably some computer looking at that and ready to spit you out a letter if it doesn’t add up.

A VAT related question…

A Northern Ireland based company supplies a software product to an Irish based public sector body who isn’t registered for VAT.

Should the NI company include VAT on their invoice?

No

1 Like

Yes, I’d have thought. Surely they have to pay VAT on the sale?

1 Like

I’ve got mixed messages from outside TFK on this one and now similar in here.

Usually only avail of less 20% vat on receipt of Irish vat number.

I’d agree with Harry.

Charities can be exempt from VAT, but public sector in general pay VAT. The charities exemption applies in Ireland and EU, UK might now be different. A very unqualified opinion, but I’ll fucking stick to it.