Revenue Returns, ROS, Taxation and the Self Employed

Its from within the UK and the service is used outside the UK. The sale can be zero rated and should not suffer VAT

If they don’t have a VAT number you have to charge VAT

1 Like

NI is HMRC not revenue. The seller doesn’t have to charge VAT because the sale is outside the UK according to HMRC rules

I’m fairly ahead of myself here, but I usually just get rid of my tax returns in January.
Had everything ready and went online to file my form 11.

For context, I’m a PAYE worker, but I’m also a registered sole trader for a few bits I do on the side. I used to have an accountant look after this crap, but tbh, I earn so little on the side, I started doing it myself a few years back. It’s relatively straightforward. Until this year. I’ve everything inputted and get to the last stage and keep getting this message:

The total deductions in employment for self do not equal the equal amount of expenses, superannuation contributions, and capital allowances. Please return to the PAYE/BIK/Pensions panel to correct this error

I really can’t figure out what is going wrong here. Anyone have a similar experience in the past?

I’m no accountant myself, but I tried to do it in January a few times myself. It never worked for some reason. I always wait now until some of the pages (wife’s details) are auto-populated. Then it works.

Poor enough advice I know, but my advice would be wait.

1 Like

Might do that alright mate. Did it early January last year without a hitch but that might be the case this year

Deleted initial form and did a second one and hey presto, it works!

1 Like

@EmilioButragueno

Slow to refund this year.

And hyper pedantic, in a way that they hadn’t been the last few years.

Mine went through no probs. But instead of just pressing a button to request the p21 had to work through few pages to confirm tax return was accurate (I added the wfh allowance which I’d forgotten) and confirm bank details etc… Paid in 2 days after

Legend. Thank you.

Quick one, lads. My Mrs younger brother works away from home in a role he’s been in for 5/6 years all very relaxed. He has his job more less done in 3 days and is saving for a house so looked for another job as a nicer. Been offered something part time for a day or two a week doing the same thing but totally different industry. How can he make it worthwhile doing it tax wise. He’s asked to do it as a self employed contractor for services but doesn’t seem to cop that he’ll still be taxed to fuck - he was saying that he could self assess and pay 30% tax but that’s not the case is it?

No way around it unfortunately. What you earn in a second job is lumped ontop of the first job and you’ll be paying the higher band on it most likely. Unless of course, he’s doing it for cash.

As I thought. No he says the crowd with the 1 or 2 days are pretty much by the book so he didn’t go there about Cash. Would his main employer see the other ones details when they are doing payroll or is that kept private? If he’s doing all of it for 49% he’d want to not get snared doing it. So no work around then is final answer. Cool.

Who designs/maintains the Revenue website? An absolute crock of shite they must do no QA on it.

2 Likes

Hmmm… The fired plenty bodies and QA at the bits of the site that are ‘revenue generating’ but when it comes to reporting for Joe public they couldn’t give a fuck.

1 Like

I just had to log in to cease an employment for the life partner there and there is a date field to populate stating the date of cessation; there doesn’t seem to be any validation as once the date is populated I am getting an error and the page is refreshing.

Like you insinuated, they may have to refund her money so I suppose there is no rush on their side to ensure certain use cases are up correctly developed, tested and delivered.

Paid the lpt there.

It comes around faster every year.

How many properties have you?