RIP Paidi O'Shea

Some people here saying 57 is young. Sure you could even have great grand children at that age.

[font=tahoma][size=3]I, along with every other poster I would imagine, knew before opening this thread that you would post an insightful comment[/size][/font]

:rolleyes:

awful man for the sauce

[quote=“The All Seeing Eye, post: 729920”]

[font=tahoma][size=3]I, along with every other poster I would imagine, knew before opening this thread that you would post an insightful comment[/size][/font]
[/quote]I was shocked there was no picture

Very sad news that such a legend of the game has died at such a young age. I’m more than willing to overlook Paidi’s Fianna Fail background in favour of his Irish Republican credentials. He was very gracious after Armagh beat Kerry in 2002.

He won’t go down as one of the great managers but undoubtedly was a good one. He oversaw Kerry’s emergence from the doldrums, winning two U-21 All-Irelands and then a Munster title in his first year as senior manager, following it up with the League and All-Ireland in 1997. That was a poor team and he deserves a lot of credit for delivering an All-Ireland. The 2000 team was considerably better and that was probably Kerry’s best ever All-Ireland. I attended the two semi-finals against Armagh that year and they were titanic matches. The finals against Galway were very exciting matches too. That Kerry team were involved in some more titanic matches over the next couple of years also, most memorably against Dublin in Thurles and that final against Armagh. They played a superb brand of football and Paidi oversaw that. Winning a Leinster title with Westmeath was another great achievement.

A massive character and the GAA scene will be duller in his absence.

[quote=“Sidney, post: 729924”]The 2000 team was considerably better and that was probably Kerry’s best ever All-Ireland. I attended the two semi-finals against Armagh that year and they were titanic matches. The finals against Galway were very exciting matches too. That Kerry team were involved in some more titanic matches over the next couple of years also, most memorably against Dublin in Thurles and that final against Armagh.
[/quote]
After starting slowly Galway had them reeling by the end in the first game in 00 and should have won only for a few lame late kicks into the greatful arms of Declan O Keefe, one most gallingly by Derek Savage from 20 yards with Paraic Joyce open to his right. The replay does not count as a real all Ireland as it was played on a saturday although it is remembered for precipitating an an era of dominance by Kerry over Galway which alas, continues to this day.

of course he was inhospitable towards you. A smart piece of publicanism. How could he have a roaring asshole like you pissing off his best juicers while you were sipping out of a glass of miwadi orange for the night

A nice bit of nostalagia Dunph

yeah, very touching

spot on sandymount - Paidi didnt concede too many scores in the finals. He probaby scored more than he conceded. Tough as nails.

they will to the jingle jangle of celtic crosses.

:lol:

the shit our fellas coming on here with their " i met him when i was a young lad " shit and other type of fawning is disgusting.
Nothing worse than people trying to claim some assocaition with the deceased by coming up with some neither here nor there old crap.
The guy was a bollux, end of, it is generally accepted that he was , he was a thug on and off the pitch and all this " greatest sportsman of all time rubbish" is both insulting to him and many more who have gone before him.
Its terrible that a young man has passed away so soon to xmas but spare us the bullshit please and leave it at that

Edgy.

His ‘journalism’ was complete pish too

great gaa man… and with 8 all ireland medals there can be no doubt a great irish sportsman…a rogue in the nicest sense of the word…on the pitch a full blooded hardy bastard… i think paidi won 5 all irelands at wing back and in later years 3 at corner back…

Its understandable that the high plains drifters like TASE and Mickee4by2 couldn´t relate to a man like Paidi who proudly stayed true to Irish roots …

you’ve been listening to Pat Spillane

i´d never listen him…

the only interaction i ever had with him was when he told a companion to fuck off after he approached himself, tomas, marc and someone else eating a plate of spuds and pints of milk which was possibly after training during his managerial reign. saw him a few other times in the pub and he could be gruff enough.

id be neutral on him though and if anything id have a borderline fondness, never understood the dislike for the man and assume it was for his connection to FF but fuck that. his record in football speaks for itself and at that age it is always tough for the family, there will be some amount of horseshit filling the pages this comming week though and be braced for billy keane and other such characters to get ample airtime in the process