Roasting - log instances here

The Galway fullback line get all the rap for that loss, and with 5 goals conceded some would say justifiably. There were other issues at play though. That Galway team were (although mostly still young) in their 6th AI final in a row (89 SF was the final), and a bit past their prime. 1989 took a lot out of them. The turning point was Mulcahy going center forward and destroying Keady, no easy feat. It was a repeat of 86 in that respect, every defender has a player that bests him. Sylvie was on the bench I think, could have brought him in to timber the fuck out of everything that moved in the last 15 minutes. It was scandalous letting Mulcahy run through the center like that.

1 Like

Getting back on topic, I never played in the backs/defense in any sport but my cunt RIP schools coach put me in the half back line in a football match against a team from the footballing part of Galway (unlike us). Marking a county minor no less. Letā€™s just say Iā€™m no speed merchant. First 2 balls that came our way he was 3 yards away from me as I stupidly thought I could stop him after he gathered it (it was whistling over the bar as I got to him). Then I decide to give the little fucker a few unfair shoulders but the little fucker (did I say little fucker?) was also a diver and was on the ground before I could hit him properly. 6 points conceded, 4 frees. At least got to play in the forwards in the second half.

3 Likes

The biggest roasting i got was against will john boland who was a brilliant player. He was a very good footballer, saccer and football. Will never forget playing a gaa football match against him and my brother was their coach. They kicked our ass 1st half but after being roasted and good few points down feckit came in to his own and we bate them, after plenty of mud ball bellts. its great to win and great to be a.roaster

Or else of some of us were good enough not to get roasted.

Thatā€™s the overwhelming impression of those giving accounts of other playerā€™s roasting alright :rollseyes:

Shaughnessy roasted poor Aidan Kearney. Turned him inside out every time he touched the ball.

And Declan Prendergast couldnā€™t deal with Begley either, although Iā€™m not sure it would classify as a roasting.

Shaughs 1st goal was unreal. That pick and turnā€¦ I was on the hill that day and went bezerk

Would have been on a good soccer team in Kieranā€™s back in the day. We accepted a challenge match against CBS. Got roasted at centre half and though the game finished 1-2 to them I was nowhere at centre half. To top it off I scored a cracker of an OG, pinged it into the top corner after trying to clear a long ball over the top. The fuckin slagging I got was unrale.

Almost sure Canning was marking 19 year old Kelly in the 2001 final and Kelly did more than ok for himself.

1 Like

In the proud colours of malahide Celtic circa 2007 @anon98850436 was sent for milk by a fella who was about 4 foot tall. Leroy was his name on a darndale team. I think management (who were naturally cautious and slow to change under the stewardship of Carlos amigos) eventually decided to replace him when the Leroy guy actually sat on the ball in an effort to show the world what a roasting he was giving @anon98850436. @Little_Lord_Fauntleroy had to step in and he made sure Leroy hobbled off injured.

1 Like

Ollie Murphy v Peadar Andrews, Leinster final 1999
Mickey Linden v Paul Curran, All-Ireland final 1994
Bernard Flynn v Brendan McKernan, All-Ireland final 1991

Who were you marking?

No one famous. He moved out to Callan the following year with his family

CBS wad my alna mater. thought I might know the lad. Only know one lad who was mad enough to move to Callan though and he was only an average ball player

Oh I was less than average @corner_back, I had three jobs on that team, stop their centre forward, stand in the defensive wall and not go beyond the half way line. Won a Leinster senior schools medal though, not many on here have one of them I wager.

2 Likes

Youā€™re being modest, Iā€™ve never seen a less than average player win a provincial schools medal.
I played senior football in Cork for years, marked most inter county defenders at some stage, one of the very first league games I played was against Castlehaven, barely 18 I found myself shaking hands with Niall Cahalane when I found my position, nearly crushed my fuckin bones, then spent the bones of sixty minutes pulling my jersey and kicking the shit out of me whenever I got near the ball, good player but a sneaky fucker. I got very little joy that day so Iā€™ll consider it a roasting.

4 Likes

Four different men were send in full forward on top of me this morning and all four were sent home with their tea in a mug

10 Likes

Ah lovely.

Ah lovely indeed. More kudos to my colossal performance.

Only actually seeing this now, you could hardly call it a roasting when he wasnt bothered @Mac