Rory McIlroy

Incredible ambassador for Irish golf alright. He will definitely add to the gate when he tees it up at Mount Juliet next week.

Oh wait…

6 Likes

I don’t understand why Irish open don’t go back to La Hinch or Ballybunion? They would get a much higher class field with golfers wanting a links test before British open. You could argue Scottish open facilitates this but some golfers don’t like playing the week before a major and any LIV players are banned from playing in that. The competition in its current guise is a dead duck.

It should be in Portmarnock every year.

It would also help if all the top Irish players played in it.

Portmarnock is a good shout too.

1 Like

Money

They should have it in Ballybunion in June and call it the Travellers Championship

2 Likes

Rory will be at the most important golf tournament played in Ireland in July don’t worry lads.

I’d say this is spot on. Over the last decade his game at times has been awful and far too erratic. He seems to have toned sorted it all but he’s still not good enough. Whether that starts to get inside his head it’s hard to know. He’s definitely much more consistent now.

It’ll be interesting to see if brooks and spieth can come back. They’d similar runs to Rory before disappearing.

I think Koepka and Spieth will win more majors. Spieths best hope is the British open and Koepkas the USPGA format. I’m surprised Cantlay and Schauffele havent kicked on. They havent been contending in majors of late. Just goes to show if you have a few near misses it can get in your head. Winning majors seems to be a distinctly different mentality from competing in the run of the mill PGA tour events and calls on a different skillset and mindset. Schefflers comments after winning the masters were quite revealing in this regard.

Is Rory the cork hurling of the golfing world?

The new generation of Morikawa, Burns, Sheffler, Zalatoris seem to advanced past the Spieth, JT, Reed, Fowler, McIlroy generation. Might be as you say that they haven’t the mental scars from near misses, loss of form, injury, marriage etc

Thats a fairly fair analogy I’d have thought.

Yeah they have and likes of Morikawa, Scheffler dont have the mental scars either. I think if Mcilroy is to win another it wont be by blowing the field away but similar enough with how Thomas won PGA. Getting a club house lead with a final round 66 or 67, getting a bit of luck in running and a couple of fellas faltering. Thomas must have been triple figure odds to win that PGA on back 9. Won it like a horse coming last to first and getting up on the line to win by a nose.

That’s the perception alright but there’s an Awful trend of lads winning 2-3 majors and just disappearing afterwards for whatever reason.

There’s nothing to suggest any of those will turn into a tiger or even a Phil.

Ya but brooks talked a good game too when he won a couple in quick succession and has gone to pot.

I don’t really remember peak tiger but the trend seems to be lads winning 2 or 3 majors and falling back into the pack.

What everyone is saying about Scottie, will and the likes was said about brooks, spieth, Thomas and Rory too.

Anyone winning 6 or 7 majors in this day and age will go down as a golfing great. In todays money it would be worth as much of any achievements of other greats of the game.

I wouldnt be thinking its a brand new dawn or anything like that. As BC said, the new wave might sink as quick as the older wave. We’ll see what happens when schefflers game dips a bit. I cant see fitzpatrick winning too many majors either, think his putting is suspect. Of all those newer lads Morikawa looks the best to me. Think he’ll win a few.

1 Like

I’m delighted to be on the bandwagon ahead of the big win

What happened yer man Jason Day? He seemed to be placed in every major for about three years, finally won the US PGA and then vanished off the face of the earth.

You need a savage HUNGER to stay at the top in golf.

Got a few injuries. Think his back was fucked.