Rugby - June 2016 End of season meaningless friendlies

It really is night and day pal. Itā€™s a professional 32 county operation with all the stakeholders engaged for the betterment of the sport on the island. The other is a partionist team where few of the ā€œfansā€ care to turn up outside of social media ops.

5 Likes

He should just get on the bandwagon and be done with it.

Fair play to them. I hope they get chances for the senior team and arenā€™t going to be kept out of it by a load of South Africans

2 Likes

England leading South Africa 19-3 in the other semi final after half an hour.

1 Like

Itā€™s been a momentous few weeks for Irish sport between this and Joe smidts injury plagued squad making history in cape town.

Today though as a stand alone is a massive massive achievement. A great day for Irish sport.

5 Likes

It will be a tough final for us. We got the better of them in the Six Nations but they are a side transformed.

Anyone heading over to this needs their head examined.

3 Likes

If this doesnt get @dancarter back, nothing will.

Quite a few of these players will have their heads examined during their careers

Iā€™m sorry Iā€™m not going to support a Scottish club side and going to see a national side instead

1 Like

So so witty. A really funny contribution.

The rastoolers canā€™t handle it when a United Ireland team does well. The fact that there might be a few proddies on it drives them over the edge.

4 Likes

IRFU is absolutely years ahead of all other sports in Ireland and piynd for poynd probably the best in this part of the world.

1 Like

Rocko I saw some thread earlier where you were discussing rugby tactics etc what made you hate the game so much now?

Iā€™m going. PM me if you are coming over.

In the thrall of a British soccer franchise.
I believe rocko spent many years playing rugby at a high level.

It was a actually statement of fact Rocko. You arenā€™t a very perceptive fellow are you?

I reckon the lads didnā€™t have a problem with rugby football when it wasnā€™t really a ā€œthreatā€ to them. They could get on board when Ireland were trying to beat England in the early 2000s, it was England after all and the Rastooler in them always twitches when the opening chimes of God Save the Queen came up on the television. Additionally up until a few years ago they were their landlords and there was a bit of a case of ā€œdonā€™t poke the masterā€, theyā€™ve a bit of confidence now that theyā€™re co-tenants even though they canā€™t fill the place.

If you were to ask the average person in Ireland now to name 7 or 8 Irish international association footballers Iā€™d say theyā€™d struggle. Keane, Given, Long, Coleman maybeā€¦

For the Italia 90 cub who grew up with Irish association football players playing for top clubs seeing that dwindle down more and more would make you said. Itā€™s hard to take when your top stars are jobbing away for Norwich City and Everton.

Meanwhile Irish newspapers and magazines go mad for the rugby footballers. Seanie Oā€™Brien, the Kearney brothers, Zeeeeeeebs, Heaslip, Murray, Chuuuurch, Sexton, Madigan, Henshaw and up until recently Paulie/Oā€™Driscoll would have been known by a substantial chunk of the population. They are the darlings of the major brands in this country.

Iā€™d say the final straw for a few of the lads was seeing their birds drooling over some Leinster no mark on a night out.

4 Likes

Canā€™t wait for it now. What a day of rugby Saturday is going to be.

1 Like

On top of all the rugby success of the last decade, youā€™ve only got to look at the strides the Irish cricket team has made over the last decade or so. The Ireland menā€™s hockey team is heading to the Olympics for the first time since 1948. The boxers continue to excel. The partitionist Eire soccer team and the shambolic FAI are an utter joke.

1 Like