Rugby - June 2016 End of season meaningless friendlies

Thatā€™s a belter of a post.

1 Like

the Irish cricket team are shit again mate

you obviously wernt at Malahide at the weekend(not many were)

Iā€™ll take 1 from 2 right now. Great to be in this position though on both fronts.

1 Like

Are you for real??? itā€™s a load of lads banging into each other ffsā€¦and weā€™d be shit at it if countries like the States, Russia etc. took it serious, you gimpy cunt.

Who will themselves be drooling due to acquired brain injury

Sure there are loads of retired soccer players with acquired brain injury as well from letting the ball bounce off their heads. I donā€™t really think itā€™s a topic for joking about anyways mate, no doubt you were posting about your respect for Ali last week too and now this for cheap laughs? For shame

1 Like

name some?

Which makes their promotion and development of the game all the more impressive.

1 Like

The marketing since the creation of the provincial system deserves some sort of award.

1 Like

It would be crass to name someone in a cheap effort to score points mate.

Il leave you with bit of reading material, there is probably an ERSI report on the the way too

http://www.realclearsports.com/articles/2016/01/06/can_soccer_headers_cause_brain_damage_98360.html#.V2jmDTjTXZs

http://m.neurology.org/content/51/3/791.short

In summary. You would want your head examined if you play soccer.

There is also likely millions of workdays per year lost from players who get pneumonia from changing in a retired artic trailer with no doors and no showers but I havenā€™t gotten the concrete info on that yet. Sweep Sweep job id say

1 Like

Lots of things.

Unlike most of the bluffers on here I played the game fairly seriously, representative provincial level up to Under 20s. I enjoyed playing it for the most part but never really enjoyed watching it that much. I watched it on tv a fair bit but had no real interest in going to games, surrounded by people who hadnā€™t a clue what was happening and you canā€™t see an awful lot of the matches from the stands anyway.

The hype eventually turned me off the sport completely. Skyā€™s commentary team are nauseating but theyā€™ve been followed by a cheerleading Irish media who seem to downplay failures. I donā€™t think the players involved in provincial rugby in Ireland are particularly elite - itā€™s a comparatively easy sport to make it to the top and Iā€™m not blown away by watching some big lump of a lad running forwards and getting tackled, then watching the next guy out doing the same thing. Iā€™d much prefer to watch a game of rugby league which is all about that style of play but at least it doesnā€™t purport to be anything else.

I couldnā€™t care one way or the other about the game itself - itā€™s only a game, it canā€™t cause offence. I find its media coverage intolerable, the workplace coverage even more ludicrous and the games themselves massively boring.

10 Likes

Superb post.

I find that if one doesnā€™t like the hype and the media around a particular sport itā€™s relatively easy to ignore it if you want to. I donā€™t have huge interest in soccer but have watched plenty of the games. I have not read one article or watched one of the fan videos though because it doesnā€™t interest me in the slightest.

I find it highly amusing that people go out of their way to find offence in the media coverage of thing they donā€™t like when with a modicum of effort itā€™s easy to ignore

1 Like

Iā€™d write very nearly the exact same thing. Which province?
Having said that, having the chance to watch Ireland go for a world cup a few miles down the road, against ingerland, Iā€™m really looking forward to it.
You could also write a very similar paragraph or two about the soccerballing, but it doesnā€™t, for whatever reason, draw your ire (pun intended)
Your passion for a British soccer franchise I do find odd.

2 Likes

I didnā€™t want to personalise my response Flatty but yes. Clearly some element of mixed up thinking with rocko b donā€™t we all have our foibles

Sure the romance and media coverage the euro 88 and Italia 90 groups got was massive and they are still living off it.

how many soccer games do you attend in ireland, use this year as an example?

Actually, I can easily understand following celtic. Itā€™s a great club. Scottish Footbsll is more entertaining also as the defending is worse than epl.
It just sits uneasily alongside an apparent vehement hatred of rugby.
I far prefer league as well and I attend five league matches for every union one these days, but, England vs Australia the last day was as compelling and brutal a cockfight of a game of anything as I have seen for a long time.
Hon the wolfpuppies in any case.
Btw if I was in Ireland Iā€™d never go to anything but hurling, an odd football match, and maybe Galway utd once in a while (or whatever theyā€™re called these days)

Bhoys here seem surprised by Irish people supporting Celtic. I find this very surprising.

The same guys that canā€™t understand lads not supporting Irish rugby on the grounds that they are an ā€˜Irishā€™ team canā€™t understand how other lads support an Irish soccer teamā€¦ you truly couldnā€™t make it up.

Didnā€™t an Irish priest set up Celtic originally?

Celtic donā€™t seem to have very many players from Ireland anymore. Aberdeen have a large Irish contingent and clubs with historical Irish roots like Hibernian and Dundee United have had a decent enough sprinkling of Irish players over recent years.

Could the admins move this Glasgow Celtic discussion to a more appropriate thread? This is supposed to be a thread for rugby enthusiasts to discuss the important June international fixtures.