Rugby Players Rape Trial

Yes, I can

The problem gets exponentially worse when you question whether we have free will or just imagine we have.

1 Like

@KOS1987 now that’s asking for it…

Who’s the “they” and what are they trying to measure! . Sure people are racist sexist etc. Openly so. Nothing unconscious about it. Plenty of former racists egc have changed their views through education and experience . But do you think they are all still tainted with unconscious bias. People can learn change and evolve. This whole hoodoo that in your subconscious your still a bad egg is nonsense. Im not racist and theres not some hidden part of my brain still making me racist.

3 Likes

Very well said.

Agree here

Load of self deluding pc virtue signalling pop culture. It’s a deep-seated and fundamental part of human nature to fear, distrust and reject the outsider, the weak and the different. Rationalising, dealing with and overcoming our more base instincts is what makes us civilised.
Put that in your pipe and smoke on it for a while.

1 Like

Well said.

1 Like

And there you have it.

It’s a lot more complicated than that I’m afraid. Most of what goes on in your brain is unconscious or subconscious, a rough estimate is you are aware of maybe 5% of the cognitive goings on, and obviously aware of nothing that is unconscious.

Racism is based on fear of the unknown or perceived danger, an evolved trait so millions of years old, much like fear of spiders. It’s no coincidence that the Irish are historically so racist, as they had no experience of encountering other races and freaked when they saw black people on the street for example.

People stop being racist when they realize other races are not a threat, or there is a benefit to not being racist. There’s no pure altruism involved, regardless of how people want to believe it to be the case.

Who said anything about altruism. The majority of functions we perform like moving are done sub consciously. I’m not disputing that. But the whole theory behind implicit bias is that you will act racist/discriminate in spite of not having any fear or viewing people as a threat. As if it’s something that is inate. It’s not. Its learned behaviour.

1 Like

You did, you stated you were not racist and there was no hidden part of your brain making you racist. You certainly can claim the former, but have no grounds for the second claim. This is an altruistic view of the world which has no basis in reality. I’m not referencing your unconscious in terms of bodily functions, etc, the current thinking is that 95% of the cognitive mind is unconscious, perception, memory, learning, etc.

Racism is both innate and learned, good luck trying to separate them like any nature versus nurture argument.

Rory Harrison’s defence says “Sympathy is dangerous in this case”.

He asks the jury to imagine that it if it was their father or brother in the dock for a different case, and they were sitting in the public gallery, how much care and attention they would want the jury to take.

What happened to "we may all have sisters, we may all have daughters…"

Harrison is a fat pig, a vile character, and will fall on his own sword to protect the lads. McIlroy is a Fucking spastic and deserves to be jailed more so for lying to the court than actually waving his lad around. Jackson needs 7+ years in jail to wipe the smirk off his face the dirt bag. Olding needs rehab, 1-3 years jail time also. The witness sounds like someone we will hear from again, next time she gets the ride. Be a brave man taking her home. A young Meryl streep it seems

1 Like

Christ.

Am I wrong??!

Rosanna Cooney

@RosannaCooney
10m10 minutes ago
More
Duffy says the judge will tell the jury 2 things about character:

1. People of good character are less likely to convict criminal offences

2. When a person of good character gives evidence they are more likely to be telling the truth

Is the complainant not of good character also? I can’t cope with how the defence is defending - surely all of what they are saying applies to the complainant also.

1 Like

Some yes, some no. Like us all I guess :joy:

When is this thing due to be over?

Last speech today. Judge will direct jury tomorrow. Jury can begin deliberations next week. Thank Christ.