Rugby World Cup 2019 - Ireland shit the pot all over again

Yerra

The head of World Rugby said they are cancelling a game because they were surprised they got a typhoon. In typhoon season.

I was of the impression it was a freak occurrence, but they’ve scheduled the World Cup in typhoon season and are surprised with a typhoon.

The Japanese Grand Prix is Japan’s most high profile international sporting event and it has been held in October without major weather incident for as long as I can remember

It’s on this weekend actually

Is the grand prix going ahead?

If you know anyone out in Japan at the RWC, send them this.

1 Like

It’s similar to lapsed posters @GeoffreyBoycott comment on scheduling an Ashes Test Match in Manchester in September.

Who thought it was a good idea scheduling a World Cup in the middle of Typhoon season :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I’m assuming here you are taking the piss after Jules Bianchi was killed in the typhoon affected race in 2014

5 Likes

They also held qualifying on the morning of the race in 2004 and 2010 due to the weather, may have to do it again this year.

1 Like

I’m not sure why you’d assume that

There have been many wet races in F1 over the years, I can’t remember many of them being in Japan

Bianchi crashed into a tractor, that’s why he died

Apparently there was also a fault with his car

Now that you’ve pointed out, I’d be fairly certain he was. Even if he wasn’t! :smile:

1 Like

Unseasonal late weather patterns unfortunately. Apparently typhoon season should have passed a few weeks ago but it’s untypically late this year. That’s what’s caused the higher than anticipated humidity as well.

ok, I thought it was one of your subtle points or something or other.

I dont particularly follow F1 that closely, but my recollection of that race was it was badly affected by the typhoon with delayed start, being stopped midway and restarting and finishing early as a result of the serious crash with Bianchi.

As @cluaindiuic subtly points out, Bianchi didnt even die in the crash, but died subsequently as a result of it, so you could stretch it out to that if you wanted to be pedantic.

either way, yes, typhoons have affected Japanese Grand Prixs.

1 Like

Global Warming ain’t all bad

There are lads here who are now up in arms that Japan’s highest profile annual international sporting event has been staged in October every year* since 1986

Fascinating to watch, as they say

*I think it was in early November one or two years during that time, ie. 1994 and 1998

Typhoon Kong-Rey hit Okinawa on 4th October last year.

Can you please provide a comprehensive list of typhoon-affected Japanese Grand Prixs

what does it matter. The 2019 RWC is being rained off by a typhoon. The Rugby set have rolled the dice with their once every four years flagship competition and come up with snake eyes

I dont have an encyclopedia type memory as your good self, however as @halfpipe kindly points out above, qualifying in 2004 and 2010 were on the day of the race as a consequence of typhoons at the time.

there may indeed be more prior to that, but I dont either have the info nor the time to search for it, so the above 2 races plus obviously the 2014 race will have to suffice for now.

The Japanese Grand Prix has been staged in October almost every year since 1986

Can you please provide a list of Japanese Grand Prixs which have been cancelled due to the weather

You’re the expert on Japanese weather, remember - you warned against this happening

Surely you would have evidence to support your theory

The IRB make no apologies for putting health and safety first. And rightly so. This is not scummy soccer where the collapse of a wall in the stadium and the manslaughter of 39 fans just sees kick off pushed back for an hour or two.

2 Likes